Motorcyclist killed by the Amish.

NinjaNick

WhoDey and I were talking about popping over a hill and being surprised with a 2mph horse and buggy on the road. I told him that it's dangerous as hell! I experienced it near Hocking 3 weeks ago.:nono:

This one wasn't on the road but their runaway buggy killed a cyclist.

Seems like the news is more worried about the horse than the fatality. :nono:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,392182,00.html

Motorcyclist Killed in Crash With Runaway Amish Buggy

MEADVILLE, Pa.A motorcylist is dead after an accident with a Amish buggy in northwestern Pennsylvania.

Police say a group of Amish people fishing at Pymatuning State Park had their horse tied up on Friday night. But the horse broke loose and pulled the buggy onto Route 6 east of Linesville, in Crawford County. The unlighted buggy collided with a motorcycle operated by 42-year-old Duane Forsythe of Beaver Falls.

Forsythe was killed. His passenger, 44-year-old Catherine Fosnaught, also of Beaver Falls, was injured. The horse wasn't hurt.

That is terrible! I wonder if they had helmets on? Guy at my work was riding his Harley with his wife on the bike, neither of them had helmets on, they wrecked, and his wife died. News report said she most likely would have lived if she had a helmet on! :(

That sucks!

This case there was no "driver" but back when I was in HS at Pymatuning, I would ride my 77 CB750 to school...

it was almost a weekly occourance that an amish buggy would cross 6 at hayes road or near there as I'd ride to school...

I came REAL close to hitting them a few times...they just don't pay attention, and I could swear they pulled out in front of me on purpose a few times, too

i dont get the amish... they will use technology up to a point... i mean they use levers and pulleys and stuff like that...

im going to start a religion that dictates you can use no technology made later than 1976... 8 track but no cassette. you can watch betamax, but VHS is a sin.

It's a religion, people follow it as they see fit. I know plenty of Catholics who've had sex before marriage, and even had children out of wedlock even though it's a major sin. Also many sects allow the use of modern tools and such if it's to compete with the English (us) for work.

I've never built one but I've seen a few up close, I don't remember buggies being built out of quarter inch plate. All the ones I've seen have been built out of wood and I'd imagine if you were wearing gear you'd sail through it with maybe a broken collar bone and some scrapes. I doubt they were wearing any gear, call me an ass but I have a hard time feeling bad for people who don't even care enough about themselves to put a simple helmet on.

It's a religion, people follow it as they see fit. I know plenty of Catholics who've had sex before marriage, and even had children out of wedlock even though it's a major sin. Also many sects allow the use of modern tools and such if it's to compete with the English (us) for work.

I've never built one but I've seen a few up close, I don't remember buggies being built out of quarter inch plate. All the ones I've seen have been built out of wood and I'd imagine if you were wearing gear you'd sail through it with maybe a broken collar bone and some scrapes. I doubt they were wearing any gear, call me an ass but I have a hard time feeling bad for people who don't even care enough about themselves to put a simple helmet on.

ditto...no helmet? this is all you get...:slap:

and on the subject of amish, has anyone been "out-bumped" by an amish buggy? There are some out here with big alpine subs and beefy amplifiers...

i do alot of riding in amish areas. you just get used to it. i have had tons of ass puckering moments for sure.

+1 The group near my parents doesn't even allow reflectors or battery powered lights on their buggies..:( All they have at night are these stupid lanterns you can barely see. My parents are good friends with an Amish family so I have a little bit different perspective on them and their beliefs.

If you are opposed to eating Veal then you can make this arguement. If not I don't want to hear it.

These dogs are kept confined AND continuously preganant until they are no longer useful.

I don't think that happens to baby calf's that end up as Veal.

They dont have to pay any taxes on any of the crap they sell us do they?

also i seen a buggy up close. they look fairly sturdy. i am sure some metal plate is involved in mounting the leaf springs between the buggy and the frame. i wouldnt want to hit one.

+1 The group near my parents doesn't even allow reflectors or battery powered lights on their buggies..:( All they have at night are these stupid lanterns you can barely see. My parents are good friends with an Amish family so I have a little bit different perspective on them and their beliefs.

i deal with them on a daily basis with my job. i would say that 80% of my customers are amish so i also have a differnt perspective.

They buy their land with cash, they pay their medical bills in cash, Do not believe in credit, They don't get divorced, They spend time with their children, They have a strong sense of community. Yep they are horrible.

veal = food. Veal is a bi-product of the Dairy industry, and darn tasty. Don't waste it taste it.

Pets are a complete was of time and morally questionable as it is like slavery. Now dogs are eaten around the world and with the amount of Orient food I have eaten I have probably eaten dog. No idea on taste, everything taste the same in general tso's or sweet and sour sauce.

wow "lost", I disagree with you alot...

I'm not a fan of the amish (period) they are typically hypocrites...

They live tax free, yet enjoy the ameneties that our tax money pays for...

they claim to "shun" technology but my friend who works for alltel has sold more phones to amish in recent years than he could count...

on the whole, I'm not a fan...

they claim to "shun" technology but my friend who works for alltel has sold more phones to amish in recent years than he could count...

Again, It's a religion, different people follow it to different extents. Just because I have (lots) of sex out of wedlock, does that mean I'm a horrible person? It makes me a sinner thats for damn sure but I doubt I'm an awful person.

IMHO it's about the same as saying all Amish are hypocrites because a few of them have bought cell phones. but again to me, it's a religion, follow it to your tastes, why should I give a shit, if your catholic and have sex out of wedlock, I'm not gonna quit talking to you :D

also there are ALOT of people who abuse the system, something like 45% of all Americans are government dependent. and thats not including all the boarder jumpers that milk it for all it's worth, and ship billions of our dollars back home that this economy will never see. There's allot worse people out there than Amish, I've met a few of them and don't have a damn thing bad to say about any of them.

The Amish do not live tax free. Self-employed Amish are exempt from Social Security taxes and thats it. They pay income, property, and sales taxes.

The Amish do not live tax free. Self-employed Amish are exempt from Social Security taxes and thats it. They pay income, property, and sales taxes.

I wish I could not pay Social Security tax and invest that on my own, maybe I'll become Amish

I'm not sure about the ones by you, but the ones in andover do not pay property taxes because their houses are all registered as churches...

income tax and sales tax, maybe, but IIRC some/most of the ones in andover are exempt from sales tax as well (i used to work at the biggest grocery store in andover)

I'm not sure about the ones by you, but the ones in andover do not pay property taxes because their houses are all registered as churches...

income tax and sales tax, maybe, but IIRC some/most of the ones in andover are exempt from sales tax as well (i used to work at the biggest grocery store in andover)

I'm sure that some don't pay property taxes but like you said, it had nothing to do with being Amish. The Amish don't have traditional churches...they attend church services every other Sunday at a members house. Members take turns hosting church services.

As far as sales tax, nobody pays food tax in Ohio...so most of what you would be selling at a grocery store is exempt from sales tax to all Ohio residents. There are also sales tax exemptions for supplies used for farming which is available to all Ohio farmers...not just the Amish.

I'm sure that some don't pay property taxes but like you said, it had nothing to do with being Amish. The Amish don't have traditional churches...they attend church services every other Sunday at a members house. Members take turns hosting church services.

As far as sales tax, nobody pays food tax in Ohio...so most of what you would be selling at a grocery store is exempt from sales tax to all Ohio residents. There are also sales tax exemptions for supplies used for farming which is available to all Ohio farmers...not just the Amish.

anybody using gasoline for off road use (ie farming) can apply to have the federal tax refunded.