Rode for the first time ever in my life...

MrMeanGreen

Until yesterday, I'd never ridden a any type of motorcycle in my life. I just never really had the opportunity nor the motivation since I've always been a car guy.

I spent most of the weekend in Laurelville with the in-laws building a deck and relaxing out in the country (30+ acres, anyone?) and my brother-in-law was out there as well. He brought his something 100XR dirt bike with him to ride around the paths and fields. At one point, we got int a discussion about how to ride a bike, and he asked me if I wanted to try. So he gave me a five minute remedial course in where the assorted throttle/brake/clutch/etc were and gave me his helmet. This is where it got interesting.

I started with about ten minutes of riding around the local yard in first gear, then eventually moved on to riding up and down some paths and going into second. After about thirty minutes, I got the hang of it and went hauling ass around the fields and into third gear. My initial fun:

Dumped the bike

Stalled the bike

Pulled a wheelie going uphill on the bike

Got the bike stuck

I will tell you what. I had an absolute BLAST with this thing. I know it's only a 100cc bike, and honestly, I have a hard time believing how people can run around in a liter bike and not kill themselves. But for the first time in my 29 years of life, I finally rode and it was some of the best fun I've ever had.

I think I'm gonna go pick one up for myself so I can ride more often and get a better hang of this. This is something I've seriously interested in getting more proficient at and eventually, I think I may look at getting a small street bike or cruiser down the line after maybe a year or two of running around on a dirt bike.

I still have a lot to learn about coordinating the foot shifter and clutch/throttle, however. Its something I'm not accustomed to and need a LOT more practice with :D

congrats man! wait till you hop on a 250 fourstroke.... i came from racing 80's and was impressed hardcore at the power those things have. BTW, that xr 100 is slower than a 2 stroke 80/85. glad to hear you had fun, keep it safe and get one of your own!

Im not a bike guy but if im not mistaken Honda offers a auto for the youngsters

the clutch is auto, but still manual shift on the XRs. pw's and ktms and cobras are 1 speed centrifugal clutches.

I think I'm gonna go pick one up for myself so I can ride more often and get a better hang of this. This is something I've seriously interested in getting more proficient at and eventually, I think I may look at getting a small street bike or cruiser down the line after maybe a year or two of running around on a dirt bike.

1) Take MSF Class

2) Buy a starter bike

3) Practice

4) Enjoy

Just a few days after the MSF with a bit more practice I was on the streets (low traffic) and feeling confortable.

Ugh. BUY GOOD QUALITY GEAR and FUCKING WEAR IT. Anytime you need a reminder, feel free to come over and look at my helmet, jacket, and boots. Then look at my knee which was covered only with thick jeans. You've seen it before...

Oh, and read this thread. This is a friend of mine who works for Lockhart Phillips, he was wearing full gear and is one of the most responsible riders that I know. He'll be lucky to see the outside of a hospital before 2007.

I know how you treat vehicles. You have kids and a family, never forget that.

Ugh. BUY GOOD QUALITY GEAR and FUCKING WEAR IT.

+113721035763046521034785

I wear a jacket, hard hat and gloves everytime I ride.

Please take the MSF class first before riding a sreet bike. It is so worth the 25 bucks and you get your licence at the end of it.

Congrats and welcome aboard, it is a lot of fun, wait until you feel what a litre Bike does. :eek::wtf:

Bonus is that a bike gets anywhere fron 40 to 50 MPG, it helps with the gas crap going on now. I haven't driven my car in a month.....cost me 11 bucks tonight to fill the tank and it lasts just as long as a tank does in my car.

i think a dirt bike and other atvs are very similiar to street bikes. it definatly teaches you balance and technique in a safer environment that makes it easier for you to carry over to the street. it allowed me to have not problems in my transition from dirt to street except for watching out for others. my buddy raced motorcross for a long time and got a street bike brand new after almost never riding on one and as soon as break in was done he spent most of his time on one wheel and was very skilled all around. i know hoblick can verify this and i think chad has ridden with him also. just my two cents

I thought that bikes are for people who cant build a fast car?

As you might have noticed - a fast car just doesnt have the smile factor that a bike has. The further you twist the throttle, the bigger your smile gets.

Congrats for trying new things, Ant! :D