trap speeds + 60' times relationships...

evan9381

can someone who knows what they're doing explain this? ive had a couple people on another forum trying to say "if your 60' time drops, your trap speed will stay the same or go down some".

to me, this doesnt make sense. i would think that coming out of the hole faster would make for a quicker, higher mph run...anyone??

It depends. One thing is for sure, if your 60' time drops your e.t. should drop as well. A small drop in 60' should equal a much more significant drop in e.t.

Your mph at the end of a run (in any given car) is largely determined by HP. If you have a mod like gears or a torque converter, your HP will not increase, but you will make the 1/4 run faster. Gears or a converter would also get you out of the hole faster, resulting in a lower e.t., but at the same mph. However, if you significantly reduce the weight of your car, your mph can increase as well; another case is if you are having traction issues. If those are resolved it can result in a higher mph as well.

well the issue stemmed after i went out to NTR in may...not a heavily modded car, 2003 elantra, intake/header/exhaust/underdrive pulley and some light wheels (13lbs)/somewhat sticky tires...struts/springs...i was hitting 2.4-2.6 60 fts at the beginning of the night, and trapping around 88mph. once i started getting the feel for the track, i eventually hit a 2.268 60' and trapped 90.72.

for some reason the people on the boards are saying different...doesnt make sense to me

Guest FooFooMaru

with my last set up I got 2.167 60' ft @ 95.74mph with a 14.37 1/4

that was with stock suspension and 3.73's basically.

now Have 4.10's with suspension work so I will get back with you sometime and let you know if my 60' ft is better and what the MPH is....

the night we went i drove up there, sat in the staging lanes for a good 90 minutes (when howie wrecked the vette) and ran on a pretty cold engine...pushed it up to the last part of the staging lanes and had it running 2-3 min before running...temps were about 65 but i had some shitty launches/missed lights... ...ALL the other runs were done on a hot engine (hadn't turned off the car or popped the hood)...the temps did drop a bit that night, at the end it was probably 45 degrees out...the thing is though my last 5-6 runs were done in the last hour when the track died down. it was just get off the track, drive back down, wait for 2 cars to go and i was up again. my last run of the night was my best

and the whole night i was low on gas...i got to 27 and put about 4 gallons in my car...a little less than 1/4 tank so gas was low all night