Help me pick a head unit

Nitrousbird

I need a head unit, and pretty soon. I want something with a nice display, good sound quality, decent set of features, etc. 3 sets of preouts w/ decent voltage is required. Here are some units I'm considering (prices listed are what I can get them w/ shipping doing a Buy It Now on E-bay from established retailers):

Alpine CDA-9857 - $273

Alpine CDA-9856 - $177

Clarion DXZ865MP - $320

Pioneer Premier DEH-P780MP - $288

Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP - $182

Kenwood KDC-X990 - $333

I like the display on the Kenwood, but I've never been all that impressed with their products, and their interfaces. So most likely I'll pass on that one regardless. I liked the Clarion unit I had years ago (was stolen), and served me well. I've had great luck with the Pioneer decks I've had, so they are heavily on the consideration list. I've never had an Alpine deck, but would consider it for sure. JVC has nothing in my price range I like, and I won't buy a Sony head unit. I'd like an Eclipse, but all of their units w/ displays I find acceptable are too expensive.

The Alpines are top contenders, except for the displays, which are pretty boring. The $100 price difference for little more than a slightly improved display is something I'm not sure I'd want to pay. For the Premiers, I'd like to have Blue Tooth, but that units is much more expensive. Their displays are far nicer, though.

Any other head unit suggestions, or good reasons why to pick one of the above?

I have been running an alpine for about 2 years. Best Head unit i've ever had, and was about the only thing I sold at CCA (Columbus Car Audio) If I Had to Choose I would go with the Alpine 9857 or maybe look into Eclipse. I've been out of the Audio loop since 2003, but when I was at CCA Eclipse was their top of the line unit and they sound great. Eclipse Audio

Thats just my two cents.

Martelle

I always bought Pioneers until I listened to it and a competitors unit side by side.

Now I pay more for higher quality. There is a HUGE difference IMHO. If you want decent quality at low cost, go with Pioneer. If you want noticeably better sound quality, spring for something a little more high end.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167557

I always bought Pioneers until I listened to it and a competitors unit side by side.

Now I pay more for higher quality. There is a HUGE difference IMHO. If you want decent quality at low cost, go with Pioneer. If you want noticeably better sound quality, spring for something a little more high end.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167557

I agree; the Eclipse deck I had in the Formula (stolen years ago) sounded better than the Premier deck that replaced it. Of course it MSRP for twice what the Pioneer did, and was about 3x the real world cost, since it's a lot harder to source Eclipse stuff cheap. If my budget for this was higher, there would be a Eclipse CD7000 being purchased, without a doubt.

In this case, it's a daily driver setup I'm doing, nothing too fancy.

To add to the frustration now; I discovered the Bluetooth for the Alpine is a seperate add-on unit, and I can't find it cheap. I'm not sure if I'll make good use of this feature when I upgrade phones soon, but sure seems like a fun toy. But by the time you add on the Bluetooth unit, the Alpines are more expensive than the Bluetooth Premier. :(

I can definitly tell the difference between a Pioneer and an Eclipse/Alpine/Kenwood. When I went shopping for a head unit for the SS I went with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X789 (Here is the new model X790). The Excelon IMO is right up there with Eclipse and Alpine. You can get great deals on Ebay, where I got mine. It was especially nice for me, the head unit I got was a year old model that had the same features as the new model. I think the new model had a nicer display but I cut $150+ off the price by getting the older model. They look the same and function almost exactly the same.

Plus it was Sirius ready (since I know you have it) and I happened to have a tuner laying around for a Kenwood. Which is nice having all the controls for Radio, CD, and Sirius all in the head unit. You can also control an HD radio tuner and Sirius tuner through the head unit (which I imagine is commonplace in most head units). Not to mention the right/left audio inputs for MP3 players.

I have had the protection plan from cicuit city, which meant my head unit had to break (or get hooked up to 120v and fry) then circuit city looks at for 2 weeks, they call you to tell you they cant fix it pick out a new unit. other options include getting your car stolen, and if you have the right coverage they replace everything. Thanks state farm.