house paint...anyone?

evan9381

i moved into an appartment last month. they told me that i can paint the walls as long as they are white again when i move out. as with many other appartments, before i moved in they cleaned it up, and put new white paint up. just like other places as well, they used cheap shitty paint. it gets marked up VERY easily. im going to redo some of the walls white, and some in color. what i would like to find is some paint that is washable. the stuff they have on now if i try to scrub out some very light marks, it goes down to drywall in no time. anyone have any suggestions on paint to use?

This is coming from a guy who owned a painting company for about 8 years. So I speak with experience. I could go on and on explaining the various types of cheap paints apartment complexes use but your wanting an answer so the best paint for your money is available at homedepot. It is called speedwall and is around $9 a gallon. It is comparable to mid grade of say a sherwin williams. But at a 1/3 the cost. It use to be one of gliddens better paints and one of the best sellers. It goes on very smooth and has very good coverage. It is available in most tint bases. If they dont have it in a certain tint base, ask for the manager and they will usually upgrade you to another brand but at the same price as the speedwall.

Also there use to be a paint store on parsons ave. that collected different light paint colors from all the name brand stores that were either mistints or just wouldn't sell and mix them all into 55 gallon drums. They would then pour the contents into 5 gallon containers and sell them for $25 a five. However each 55 gallon batch was a little different so if you wanted your walls to match you would need to make sure al of your 5's came out of the same 55 gallon drum. Colors always ranged from white to off white.

i moved into an appartment last month. they told me that i can paint the walls as long as they are white again when i move out. as with many other appartments, before i moved in they cleaned it up, and put new white paint up. just like other places as well, they used cheap shitty paint. it gets marked up VERY easily. im going to redo some of the walls white, and some in color. what i would like to find is some paint that is washable. the stuff they have on now if i try to scrub out some very light marks, it goes down to drywall in no time. anyone have any suggestions on paint to use?

You need a semi-gloss latex paint. It is incredibly washable and has a decent sheen. Apartments always use flat paint. That's why it looks like its rubbing down to drywall. Flat paint is actually stained by water. Its pretty cool. Semi-gloss latex paint drys almost like a thin rubber film over the wall. Its really good for those kids who like to draw on the wall with crayons (yeah, I was one of them). As for brands, I've never really been all that impressed with ICI Glidden. Sherwin Williams and PPG (used to be Majestic Paint Centers / Dean and Barry Paints) have aways treated me good. Oh, and this is coming from someone who has spent his entire life in and around the paint business.