Does anyone know what Krogers on Broad will be selling E85?

Stampede

That's some interesting stuff Ben. Thanks, gives me something to read at work.

I'm curious if you could convert your car to E85 by just adjusting your air/fuel ratio with some sort of programmable ECU. Any thoughts from people who know a lot more about tuning that I do?

it needs to be lowered in price as well as get more power and better mileage... although it's good for Ohio's Economy.

can we run normal fuel in E85 cars?

FlexTek is a bi-fuel converter that can be installed on most multi-port fuel injected vehicles allowing you to choose between fueling up with either Ethanol, gasoline or a mixture of both.

I wonder if we can use E85 for boosted cars. If E85 is basically alcohol wouldnt it sorta be the same at alcohol injection? Which would allow us to run way higher boost?

I wonder if we can use E85 for boosted cars. If E85 is basically alcohol wouldnt it sorta be the same at alcohol injection? Which would allow us to run way higher boost?

Well E85 is rated at a higher octane that most regular unleaded gasoline. I've heard just running E85 your car will make more power, it just uses more of it than gasoline. Under that logic I'd assume that running E85 on turbocharged cars would be better, but you'd have to realize that on high boost you already need larger injectors, and with E85 you need more fuel than gasoline.

All of this is just my assumptions, I have no background with E85.

FlexTek is a bi-fuel converter that can be installed on most multi-port fuel injected vehicles allowing you to choose between fueling up with either Ethanol, gasoline or a mixture of both.

Yes there are many WRXs in Minn, Wisc, and Iowa running this fuel. E85 is corrosive to aluminum and rubber. Most cars have aluminum fuel rails and such but not rubber fuel lines anymore. Fuel lines are made from synthetic plastics now. SO basically fuel rails are all that it hurts. The Octane rating is around 105 but you use more of it for the same power as E10 (pump gas). Nice head room for boosted applications. The price will come down the more stations sell it, the one in Hilliard has been the only one within 100 miles for some time. Stations in Minn, WI, and Iowa report E85 up to as much as 50-75 cents less a gallon than pump gas. (1.99 - 2.50) there are over 300 stations that sell it in Minn alone. Supply is low here in Ohio right now. Ohio is looking at building an E85 refinery in Bowling Green here in the near future. If this happens, the price will come down because it will be easy to get to Gas stations. right now it has to be shipped from the corn belt. There are tax breaks for stations that sell this fuel and even grants to buy new pumps to sell this fuel. Unfortunately many don't know about it.

Flex fuel vehicles are cars that sre made from the manufacturer that can run Pump gas or E85 at anytime. A list of these vehicles since 98 are here:

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

I have run E85 in my car and it takes the fuel trim to full and then after a while you get the check engine light because you fuel trim is at full for so long. I would need a bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors to run it in my car. Fuck the fuel rails I will let them die, then get a big set of aftermarket Perrin rails that are Teflon coated. Many wrxs can run this fuel right now at a 30-40% mix with pump with no effects at all. One owner has logged close to 75,000 miles with no repairs. You do get worse gas mileage with it, but if competition comes around here the price will fall and become attractive. Not to mention this would really help us not depend on those fucking bastards over in the Middle East living in palaces getting $75 a barrel for something they pump out of the ground. I'm all for it, I want to tune for it but so many tuners are so new to it I don't want to tune and risk a 30k car. Spread the word educate others, bitch at your local gas station about getting it, go buy a flex fuel vehicle if you are in the market for a new or used car. Every little bit helps.

Well E85 is rated at a higher octane that most regular unleaded gasoline. I've heard just running E85 your car will make more power, it just uses more of it than gasoline. Under that logic I'd assume that running E85 on turbocharged cars would be better, but you'd have to realize that on high boost you already need larger injectors, and with E85 you need more fuel than gasoline.

All of this is just my assumptions, I have no background with E85.

No Alcohol has less power when it burns, (Gives less energy) so you have to burn more of it to equal the power of pump gas; the benefit of octane is that it will resist detonation better. SO you have to use more fuel to get the same power as pump gas but it is safer to use it in boosted apps.

Unlike gasoline, you can produce your own ethanol. One of the sites said, 1 acre of corn will drive your SUV about 5000 Miles. True you don't get it over time as the harvest is but once per year but if you started production at home it is possible to create your own fuel rather than buy it from a non-renewable source.

A show I saw said you use 30% more e85 than gasoline. In Brazil they have been using it since the 70's and it costs about half as much as gas. They said that you can't start the car with it in the winter, that they have a 1 gal gasoline tank in the engine compartment so you start on gas and then switch once the engine warms. Atleast that's how it is in Brazil, maybe what they're building here is a little differen't.

The guy in one of the links above who convereted is 2001 Ford Explorer to E85 said that he bought some Bosch spark plugs that were supposed to take care of the cold start issue, but if it gets bad I suppose we could always start insulating our tanks and/or heating the fuel and/or storing them in heated garages.

yes, alcohol needs more to make the same power, BUT, it runs cooler, burns cleaner, and has the higher octane. therefore alcohol can make much more power than gasoline, but you just have to throw a lot of it in the combustion. go to a dragstrip sometime. everyone with the fast cars are running methanol. we ran it in our s/c dragster and it was very nice to have and pretty cheap at that time. about $2/gal iirc.

My concern with e85 is that it takes oil and a lot of energy to produce it. So its kind of a catch 22, we lower green house gas emissions in our cars, but these new factories/refieneries will be putting out just as much if not more.

I believe someone already said it but you will go through e85 like water. You will lose roughly 35% of your "gas" mileage running e85.

My concern with e85 is that it takes oil and a lot of energy to produce it. So its kind of a catch 22, we lower green house gas emissions in our cars, but these new factories/refieneries will be putting out just as much if not more.

I believe someone already said it but you will go through e85 like water. You will lose roughly 35% of your "gas" mileage running e85.

E85 refinaries dont pollute the atmosphere because they burn Natural Gas, however the energy usage is 1 to 1, where as with gasoline 1 unit makes 6 unites of Gas. Also, in one of the links that Satan posted, there is one refinary in Minnesota that has reduced their energy usage by burning the byproduct of ethenol production to cook the corn.

A show I saw said you use 30% more e85 than gasoline. In Brazil they have been using it since the 70's and it costs about half as much as gas. They said that you can't start the car with it in the winter, that they have a 1 gal gasoline tank in the engine compartment so you start on gas and then switch once the engine warms. Atleast that's how it is in Brazil, maybe what they're building here is a little differen't.

This isn't really true anymore. A few buddies of mine have converted over to E85. They're seeing only 1 - 2 MPG less than with gasoline. Also, they've had no problems with the cold starts. In the late 70s, early 80s this was true. With the advancement of ECUs and tuning, this is no longer an issue. Anything made from the mid 80s up should be fine with the new ECU and a good tune.

No true anymore either. Here are some more links to look at:

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/Ethanol/balance.html

http://zfacts.com/p/83.html

My buddies dad makes BIOdisel i wonder how similar these 2 are. I know the biosdisel he makes is very cost effective he said count his time hd ont have that much invested into 50 gallons and poeple pay him to pickup the oil from them.

Most people make bio-diesel from used cooking oil. It isn't the same as E85. Bio-Diesel runs in cars that have a diesel engine. One of the down sides to bio-diesel is the gelling, it will lock up pretty solid at cold/room temps. E85 is alcohol (Ethanol) and runs in gas engines. It is a mix of 85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline. Wouldn't it be cool to cut the US gas consumption by 85%?

You can make both bio-diesel and Ethanol in your own home, and even scaling up to support two or three vehicles is pretty inexpensive and has a very short ROI. I am considering it as a produceable good for our farm, I have 8.5 acres and a pretty large facility. I could be producing Ethanol if I only had the chemistry background to ensure purity and proof. If enough people produce it, the oil companies would have trouble controlling the pricing.