insurance question

BuckeyeGT

i was wanting to insure my beater car for the winter months and then switch my coverage to my summer car during the summer months. so in brief, i would want my beater insured from nov.- march and then switch my insurance over to my good car in april so i would only have one car insured at a time. do insurance companies let you switch which car you insure twice a year? my dad was telling me they wouldnt put up w/ that, but i dont see why not. does anyone know anything about this or does anyone do this?

i was wanting to insure my beater car for the winter months and then switch my coverage to my summer car during the summer months. so in brief, i would want my beater insured from nov.- march and then switch my insurance over to my good car in april so i would only have one car insured at a time. do insurance companies let you switch which car you insure twice a year? my dad was telling me they wouldnt put up w/ that, but i dont see why not. does anyone know anything about this or does anyone do this?

Even if they did, I would assume the payments would still differ due to different car models. And if you have a paid off beater, you may only want liablility. In Texas, you can get plain liablility through the state for next to nothing. Many insurance companies don't tell you that. Dunno about Ohio.

You should beable to do Seasonal insurance, but in the state of Ohio if you have a loan on a car you must have full coverage from what I understand.

I wouldn't take insurance off your summer car in the winter months. If something were to happen to it while in storage insurance won't cover it, I think you can get a storage policy where you can't drive the car but its cover say your garage falls in and destroyed your car.

I have a 2000 Mustang GT and a 1987 GMC Jimmy. I pay LESS for 2 vehicles, than if I were to insure the Mustang alone. Insure both vehicles at once, set the beater as a daily driver, and the high-risk car as a pleasure vehicle. I recently saved over $1000/year just by doing that.

As droptop has stated...there are many ways to go about it but you're likely better having both insured at the same time. On whatever car you're not using for seasonal use you can drop down to comprehensive coverage only on that car which will still protect against vandalism or the like even if the car is not being driven. Often times the discount associated with having more than 1 vehicle is well worth it. Some companies won't give you the multi-car discount if one vehicle is comp-only so make sure you ask that question too.

If your insurance agent values your business they will have no problems with you calling periodically to change coverages between the vehicles. If they bitch about it change companies!!!

Andy

I have a 2000 Mustang GT and a 1987 GMC Jimmy. I pay LESS for 2 vehicles, than if I were to insure the Mustang alone. Insure both vehicles at once, set the beater as a daily driver, and the high-risk car as a pleasure vehicle. I recently saved over $1000/year just by doing that.

you sound like a insurance comercial, also you take the risk of being flaged by the dmv with the registerd car and no insurance (if its got tags you need ot insure it )

I've actually gotten hit by the random insurance check so it is more likely than you think.I have 4 cars insured right now so it's good to be old and married until my 13 yr old son turns 16.OUCH.

yea i called the insurance lady today. she was like... itll be $550/year for your trans am. i was like.. uhh.. ill be the primary driver, not my 62 year old dad. shes like... lemme set you as the primary driver.... so itll be $2300/year. cant say i was pleased at that point.

Yes, you can change it as often as you like. Again, as stated, if the primary car on your policy is your beater, you are likely to save money.

During the Formula's downtime, I downgrade it to theft and fire only.

If you have a lien on the car, you can still take liability off your policy during the non-driven months.

The random BMV check is easy to pass. They always send insurance cards in 6 month incriments. Right after they send the card, take off the extra coverage. They'll send a new card for the new coverage. But if the BMV checks, just send the old card. They aren't going to look into it any further than seeing you have a vaild card. All they care about seeing is a card with coverage on the date they are requesting.