When will there ever be a post of someone working on there own shit?

Mattsv8

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done everything from the full small block swap into my old S-10, to SBC heads and cam swaps (went through 4 cams before I found the best combo), timing belt replacement on the A4, to full suspension swaps on the S-10, A4, M3, and soon will again on the 996.

Funny thing is I quit doing my own oil changes last year becuase I'm sick of cleaning up the mess....go figure

Only other projects I havn't ever done myself are transmission and differential rebuilds.

Andy

I'm far too impatient to do alot of the work on my car (cars?) without the assistance of my friends. I'm too easily frustrated when it comes to working on MY stuff especially. If I ever had any money I would love to just buy the parts and see the finished product without anything further than handing over a check. Even though I have alot of knowledge, I am no mechanic by any means and never could be.

I agree that tearing stuff apart and dealing with making whole again is the best way to learn and is a good way to teach you respect for some parts of it (like: "I'm never gonna' break that again, it's too much of a pain to fix"), but I don't think there's anything wrong with farming out whatever work you can afford to. I'd do it if I could.

Funny thing is I quit doing my own oil changes last year becuase I'm sick of cleaning up the mess....go figureAndy

I know what you mean. On the RX 7 the oil change is the easiest thing ever. On the Suby, pain in the ass and messy. I pay to have the Suby done.

I built this:

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/3438/241529916fullut5.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8848/24152996fullra9.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3549/241529926fullro1.jpg

I have very little spare time these days, so it took much longer then I would have liked. I enjoy the fun stuff (fabrication, tuning, etc), I do not enjoy the grunt work (dropping the motor, cleaning parts, etc) one bit. I will probably pay somebody to build my next project car for me when the time comes. :cool:

I built this:

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/3438/241529916fullut5.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8848/24152996fullra9.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3549/241529926fullro1.jpg

I have very little spare time these days, so it took much longer then I would have liked. I enjoy the fun stuff (fabrication, tuning, etc), I do not enjoy the grunt work (dropping the motor, cleaning parts, etc) one bit. I will probably pay somebody to build my next project car for me when the time comes. :cool:

that turbo was retared loud i am scared

I see a lot of people posting pics and videos of their shit. but built buy other people. Does anyone in here work on there own shit besides me and rob that i know of? just curious.

Hope your curiosity has been fulfilled.....A wrench is made to fit every ones hand.....Then there are the ones that know what to do with it. No one except

"Tank" ( by the way thanks for the exhaust bung ) has worked on my toys.

Hope your curiosity has been fulfilled.....A wrench is made to fit every ones hand.....Then there are the ones that know what to do with it. No one except

"Tank" ( by the way thanks for the exhaust bung ) has worked on my toys.

What if you're left handed? :(

LOL I knew that would get you fu_ers going. lol . damn that really blew up. i figured like 10 posts. max. but it is good to see that there are people willing to do there own shit. and i know there is a need for skilled techs. ive seen more in action engine pics on this thread than in the last year on all the others. now thats what im talking about. thats fn cool. and if you seen my truck. well i did all of it so. there you go.

I am waiting for people to start posting look what I bought not look what I am going to buy.

:D

Heres my thoughts... people come to me as a chiropractor ...why? 8 years of education and a lot of time learning. I have knowledge that Joe down the street does not. Why not have Joe down the jump on your back? Because Joe is a truck driver and he does not have the training and the knowledge. Same thing applies to cars, sometimes it is best left to the proffesionals.

I have alot of automotive experience (built several engines from street to super gas), but at this point in my life it does not pay me to work on my own cars most of the time. Besides, the point to me is to drive them not let it collect dust for three months untill I have time to fix it.

I've always done my own work. Typically, I won't even let someone help me. That way, if some thing goes wrong, I more than likely know exactly what is it, and also I have no else to blame.

that and its just how you want it.

i've done all the work on my car from the sheet metal to bending the roll cage to desiging the drive train to suspension design. the only thing i won't be doing to this car is paint, i don't trust myself to get it to come out the way i want and i also don't have a place to paint it.

and im designing the turbo headers, making the crossover and dp. pluming the intercooler and building a 421" motor that im buying now a part at a time. i think its fun to build you own shit at least that way you know its done right.

I have to do my own stuff...Tempo tuner shops are...nonexistant.

The pic in my sig is last years setup, a little rough, but I had to build almost everything, as the aftermarket for the pushrod HSC is also nonexistant. It's getting more refinement and power this year, if it holds together, it should be a real treat.

LOL I knew that would get you fu_ers going. lol . damn that really blew up. i figured like 10 posts. max. but it is good to see that there are people willing to do there own shit. and i know there is a need for skilled techs. ive seen more in action engine pics on this thread than in the last year on all the others. now thats what im talking about. thats fn cool. and if you seen my truck. well i did all of it so. there you go.

:cool:

I wanna see your truck so I can jerk off to your sweet mechanical skills.

I'm the only one who works on my car, with the help of the father, though I don't "build it". Just general maintenance and modifications.

Honestly, who gives a shit? If you have the money and you don't know what the fuck your doing why not let a mechanic make a few bucks? Sometimes the work is beyond the scope of the said persons tools, knowledge, abililty... I don't see the big deal. Why don't you build your own house? Why don't you mow your own grass? Did you build your own pc? Some people do. You always have other people that will do it for money and are usually better/quicker and comes with a possible warranty.

I've done all the work on my car except for the springs and struts. I wanted to make sure those were done right so my car wouldn't kill me going down the freeway shortly afterwards. I've had some help from friends (none on this board, I don't think). I like doing my own work because of the sense of accomplishment when it's finally done. But, I've never really tackled anything big, just small modifications so far. But, like most of you are saying, I could see myself paying someone more knowledgable to do some of the big stuff. It just seems safer and smarter that way, as long as the person isn't a crook.