Mobile 1 synthetic ?s

Stampede

I'm pretty skeptical of it. But, Mobil 1 synthetic products are pretty nice. I've used regular synthetic for a while now and it lasts 5000 miles easily without looking really dirty. I did try the Clean 5000 because the place I bought it at was out of regular Mobil 1. Clean 5000 isn't synthetic so after 5000 miles it didn't look like it held up as well as regular synthetic. Just my $.02

Mobil I used to be advertised as 25,000 mile oil back when it came in cardboard cans. You would change the filter at the interval that the vehicle manufacturer required and top off whatever oil you lost in the filter change. About the time they switched to plastic bottles they dropped the mileage part from the package. I asked the Mobil rep and they said that they dropped it bacause of industry pressure but I could still continue the 25k with normal filter changes. Looks like it's coming full circle.

Full syn is great stuff, it's what I've always used. The oil gets dirty (not even that dirty with a good filter), but the oil always looks fresh at 5k. I still change em both, but the oil holds its viscocity a LOT longer then normal dino oil.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/images/stories/lifee400.jpg

^ I've done that before. It sucks hardcore, but hey. My parents garage is more of a storage room. I'm not sure cars were ever parked in it.

We run AMSOIL in all of our farm equipment, and it has done wonders for reducing wear. Using a good filter and changing it on a regular basis is key, the oil itself lasts for a long time. We have one tractor (Farmall w/ B&M turbo kit) that we use to pull anhydrous, and run against the stack temp the whole time. The oil looks good, even after 3 times the recomeneded change interval.

On all of out semis and my parents vehicles around our buisness we have run schaffers for the past couple years, and every vehicle we have semis and all are running on 10,000mile changes. After every time we change we take a sample of the oil and send it in to have it tested by a lab, they tell us what metals are in the oil what certain metals mean and if we should extend the drain intervals. Everytime but once we were told to take it to 18,000 miles but we never have.

I think my problem is I have an LS400 with 280k that's never had synthetic,a Toyota truck with 252k with no synthetic and a 4runner that went 265k without synthetic but it blew the headgaskets.I change my oil every 5k so I' just not sold on synthetic in an everyday driver.I definitely think it has its place in motorsports and extreme conditions but not in my DD in Ohio.

Switched to the 10-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic today, it is a noisy oil.

Still have not found anything close to the Penn Oil. After a teardown.

If Amsoil engine oil is as good as their gear lube, you can keep it.

As for filters, my experience shows Wix to hold up the best, and Fram being the worse. Nothing like a filter coming apart internally and completley trashing an engine (valve covers were about all that was salvagable).

I use the 15,000 mile oil in my truck, along with the Mobile 1 filter. On the first run with it, I changed at 5,000, next time was at 7,500, and every time past that it's been every 10,000 miles. It come out looking far better coming out than any other oil that I've changed at 3,000 miles. It works out to be the same price as using cheap stuff every 3,000 miles, but it means two oil changes a year instead of every other month for me.

My HCH getting the M1 syn treatment as well over labor day. Of course, that's mostly because I either buy M1 syn ($5/qt), or Honda special brew (not even going to look). Gotta love 0W-20. Figured at the same time, I'll switch to the M1 oil filter (more $$, but I can't find anybody speaking ill of it), along with the K&N air filter (even more $$, but it seems the pros outweigh the cons, especially after switching to the M1 oil filter).

I have heard of a lot of people having problem of leaks when they switch from regular oil to synthetic. Since synthetic is a little thinner than regular, it seems to find all those little cracks and leaks. Also the synthetic cleans a lot of the build up and again causes leaks. So if you switch it on an older engine or a engine with a lot of miles, you may find some leaks you didn't know about.

I have heard of a lot of people having problem of leaks when they switch from regular oil to synthetic. Since synthetic is a little thinner than regular, it seems to find all those little cracks and leaks. Also the synthetic cleans a lot of the build up and again causes leaks. So if you switch it on an older engine or a engine with a lot of miles, you may find some leaks you didn't know about.

True story.

Correct. If you switch to synthetic, chage you filter after 100 miles, then again at 1000. All that crap it disolves will plug your filter quick.

I have used the 15k mobile, changed it after about 12k and it looked pretty bad. I am using the 15k filter, and oil again and changing it this weekend after about 8500 and i am hoping it looks okay. I have always used mobile 1 syn.

Vette gets Mobile 1 5w30 just like chevy suggests. I have it changed every 3,000 miles or every 3 months whichever occurs first. My humble opinion is screw this 15,000 mile scenario. Engines run "HOT" these days which breaks down oil viscosity. I'm not gambling & attempting to save a few bucks then end up with engine problems cause I was cheap - just my opinion though