Couple questions for the V8 guys

El Karacho1647545492

Well, I'm definitely new to the club, so I need some advice and answers. Right now, my beautifully powerful SB327 sits with a .30 overbore (about 343 by my calculations) 10:1 compression with new pistons, a crank kit and new bearings, along with a holley 4-barrel. Thats basically what my uncle told me, and I know very little more. Also, this is still linked to the stock rear end and stock 4-on-the-floor transmission, both 1959 original. My problem is that I want a new transmission, probably auto, because I want to be able to get that power down, not to mention I don't want to burn gas at 13 mpg in 4th gear doing 35. Would I get a new rear end or new transmission first if I wanted to accomplish this, assuming a very tight budget.

Guest Removed

700r4 trans (overdrive) and posi,gears in the rearend down the road! IMO

or th350 or 400 if you dont want overdrive...and not run a higher rear gear.

tire height, and rear gearing will tell the tale.figure out what you have too work with, and then go from there!

You want a 200R4, because this almost a easy swap about the same size as a T350. The 700R4 is actually a bigger transmission and you will need to do some drive shaft modifications.

You want a 200R4, because this almost a easy swap about the same size as a T350. The 700R4 is actually a bigger transmission and you will need to do some drive shaft modifications.

Good if you want to stay auto. Put a good shift kit in it though. 220R4s like to break on the 2-3 shift due to not great pressures and soft shift patern (most where in big GMs designed for luxury and comfort, not performance = soft shifting)

Art Carr makes lots of parts to upgrade a 200R4