Any Machinist out there?

Stampede

I'm looking for some part time work, would like to get in to automotive machine work.

Thanks.

If your looking to take a healthy pay cut then go to the automotive side. There is no money in it unless you can go to work at some Nascar/Nhra type race team.

A good friend of mine Jeff Hickernell owned Hickernell Engine Service and closed his doors down December of 05. His reason was no one was spending money. He did however go down to Richard Childress Racing. He stated that he would bring in an easy 6 digits a year versus barely being able to stay afloat up here building engines.

I am machinist also, I work at Battelle doing cnc work, cad/cam, wire edm.

Do you get to work on the "fun stuff" out at west jeff? :cool:

Cant tell, have to kill ya if I did...........lol

I will say that WJ has the best private fishing lake in the state of Ohio.

Stampede

You can buy used Nascar Jesels off ebay for 15 bucks for set of 16. I used there bearings, adjusters, and full needle bearing tips in new aluminum bodys. I made new 4140 steel stands and 8620 main shafts. I had the cylinder heads at work and took dimensions and did a little math. A good cad package helped as well. The rockers do not compare to some of the other stuff I have done in there.

As to getting a job there, you really need to know someone. As of right now I do not see any positions coming open. Once people get in it is pretty much a retirement job. I have been there 9 years, if I would have not got on there I would of been doing something else by now.

Not trying to sound dismal but this is a dying trade and good money in this trade is getting harder to find. I once used to preach to people about this trade now I find myself trying to steer people away from it. Knowing what I know now, I think I may of opted to get into electrical/plumbing type deal just for the reason being if you were to opt for going into bussiness yourself the over head for electrical tools/tooling is far cheaper than fronting for machining equipment in this day and age.