Any one do hog roasts?

The Man of Steele

It has been a long time. I belive 6-12 hours of cooking time pending size of the hog. 80LB propane tank would get it most of the way done, usually a 20 LB to finish. You will need the roaster, chicken wire, vegetable oil, wire to tie the chicken wire around the hog, good knives, good sized table to set the hog on and pull the hog apart after you are done roasting it, and lots of beer to drink while you sit around making sure the roaster does its thing.

We have the roaster covered, and the keg of beer has been determined. Now I just need a place to buy a ready to roast hog. And a place to pick up some carolina style yellow bbq sauce.

edit: Befor saturday the second

Here a SC Pig Roast Sauce

BBQ Sauce: Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and brush on hog for last 3 hours of cooking.

1 gallon vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup salt

Juice of 3 lemons

3 Tablespoons red pepper

3 Tablespoons black pepper

1/2 pound butter

1-1/2 cups brown sugar

1 small bottle smoke flavoring

1 large onion, chopped

One 8-ounce bottle ketchup

3 Tablespoons mustard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 gallon apple cider vinegar

1 (28-ounce) bottle ketchup

2 3/4 cups firmly-packed brown sugar

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

In a large stainless-steel pot over medium-high heat, combine all the ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until crushed red pepper sinks. Remove from heat.

It should be bottled hot, not boiling. Just hot enough that the bottles are hard to hold for more than a few seconds. Fill bottles within 1/2 inch of the top. By bottling hot, it will seal itself. Does not need refrigeration until after opening and then only to protect flavor.

NOTE: The sauce does not seem to have a problem with spoilage. I have used unopened bottles a year later and they have been very good. The sauce does get hotter with age.

If you like the sauce even hotter, add 1/4 cup of Tabasco before cooking.

The last hog roast I went to the hog cooked all day something like 8 hours on a Smoker with I think Oak chips and something else I can't remember. The guy cooking used this sauce he made about 2 gallons of it the week before and just shook it over the hog did not brush it. He served stright off the smoker. That was the best Pig I ever had.

I just realized I gave you two recipes. He used the top one it is prepped the same way as the bottom one do not strain. I Yahoo'e this Company

Whole Hog Bbq

Address: Columbus, OH 43229

Phone: (614) 848-4461

You can try them about getting a Hog.

I think thats the guy across from Whempys.