new car "coating"

street pilot

What do you guys know about the coating offered when buying a new car? It is a sprayed-on protective layer, with a 5 yr. warranty against paint stains and abraisions (sap, tar, bird bombs, etc.). They recommend you do not wash your car with soap, only rinse. (although their "special" suds can be used)

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on this stuff, and its long-term performance. I was checking out one car that just had it done, and the finish is slick-as-shit. Another friend of mine has had it for a few months, and he still claims the dirt still rinses right off.

A friend of mine, Corysmach1 on here, had some type of coating done to his car, in the engine bay, and I think underneath. IMO, it looks like they sprayed Vaseline on the thing. From what I remember, it seemed to catch and hold onto dirt pretty well.

That's the only type of dealer coating that I have seen. Though, it seems like what you're describing is something totally different.

Guest JWLane

Uhh... Lemme guess, it's like $500 on top of the price of the car... Save your money. Wax it your car a few times a year, maybe a clay bar if it gets gritty

It's just more shit they're trying to sell you that's not needed

I work for a Dealership in town(I don't sell cars though)and would not feel comfortable selling something like that to a person.I would do as stated above and save your money and wax the car with a good quality wax a couple of times a year.I didn't put anything like that on my IS300 and I can get the stuff we have CHEAP.

My mom had an '04 Maxima and it had a similar coating applied by the dealer. The funny thing is that it came with a brief-case sized box of synthetic wax-stuff, a special carwash, and a CLAY BAR! The manual that came with the box recommended application of the wax every 4-6 months. It's a complete rip off. Even with the coating, you still have to wax it a couple times a year. Don't bother.

My mom had an '04 Maxima and it had a similar coating applied by the dealer. The funny thing is that it came with a brief-case sized box of synthetic wax-stuff, a special carwash, and a CLAY BAR! The manual that came with the box recommended application of the wax every 4-6 months. It's a complete rip off. Even with the coating, you still have to wax it a couple times a year. Don't bother.

I agree, 500 bucks for some cleaners is rediculous. However, I've seen the warranty kick in. 6yr, ulimited mileage. Sunfading, discoloration etc. These things happen. If the dealer can't get the issue corrected, the part is repainted.

Yeah, I sell it. Not for 500 bucks, but you have to see the value.

A friend of mine, Corysmach1 on here, had some type of coating done to his car, in the engine bay, and I think underneath. IMO, it looks like they sprayed Vaseline on the thing. From what I remember, it seemed to catch and hold onto dirt pretty well.

My 20 year old mercedes has that. Its supposed to prevent rust....and catch dirt. :p

I am not condsidering it, was just talking about it with someone who had it done. I will be keeping a close eye on it and seeing what the long-term benefits are, if any.

Included in the package was a type of "scotch guard" interior treatment, to which they waranty to be stain free for 5 years, which on his light interior seemed like a decent investment.