lot of odd stuff lately, help me out...

natedogg624

ok so doing a little ride tonight nothing hard, nothing easy. anyways come back from my ride sitting in the driveway engine on in neutral. i pull in the clutch a noise goes away. let it out a noise comes back, obviously its the clutch. sounds like a burbling, or a bad case of the stomach growls...

i open up the oil cap and smoke of some sort comes out of it. this smoke has a scent but does NOT smell like burnt clutch plates (believe me i know what that smells like), burned oil or gas, but a scent nonetheless. if i was in chem class and needed to describe it for an A, i would say some sort of gas/oil mix (again not burned though and my nose isn't the best)

also while the cap was off, engine on, some sort of (clear) air comes out in a strong force like an exhaust, only out of the clutch cover oil cap.

lastly, on the timing/ignition cover (the circle with the large flathead slot) there is some oil that seems to have been dripping over time. not oozing out or pouring out, its just there.

any ideas as to what these could be? don't want to open it up, since im running out of time in the night, ill be gone all weekend, and since it runs and works fine and nothing about these symptoms is scary, i won't open it up til after my trackday on tuesday.

nothings been done to the bike recently, only thing is a clutch change a couple months ago now. i routinely checked the bike to make sure everything was ho hum for a while after that, and since i stopped all this^ i've noticed.

i've described everything to the best of my ability, and if you ask a question ill try and give you an answer to the best of my ability.

thats cuz im still figuring this thing out. of course its going to have its "problem" if you can even call it that.

this may not even be a problem... just something i need to realize its normal. since im still somewhat a "newb" compared to some on here, i dont really know for sure what to worry about or not.

most of them im just curious and like to ease my mind...

another description of the smoke out of oil cap issue:

it doesn't blow out like there is no tomorrow, think of it as if you smoke and inhale and then open your mouth without exhaling, and the smoke just kinda slowly comes out of your mouth. that kinda way.

(i dont smoke so not sure if that happens or not, just thought i've seen my grandma do it before)

for the timing/ignition cover leak, take cap off, and replace the rubber o-ring on the cap. Wipe cap clean, make sure new rubber o-ring is clean when putting back on.

What you described sounds like a serious issue man, unless you want to risk getting broken clutch pieces in your engine, and destroying the engine, I would take the clutch cover off Immediately, take out all the plates and fibers, inspect them, and the clutch basket. Drain your oil, Look for piece of metal in the oil. It's not going to take more than about an hour or two, and rebuilding or replacing an engine is NO FUN, been there many times, don't risk it! good luck man!

Touchy, yeeeeoooow! :p

That smoke could be coming from anything man. Not just what you mentioned. Many ideas went through my head when I read your last post, like internal engine parts. It could be coming from elsewhere and when you take that cap off it just finds an escape route and makes it out through the oil cap.

for the timing/ignition cover leak, take cap off, and replace the rubber o-ring on the cap. Wipe cap clean, make sure new rubber o-ring is clean when putting back on.

What you described sounds like a serious issue man, unless you want to risk getting broken clutch pieces in your engine, and destroying the engine, I would take the clutch cover off Immediately, take out all the plates and fibers, inspect them, and the clutch basket. Drain your oil, Look for piece of metal in the oil. It's not going to take more than about an hour or two, and rebuilding or replacing an engine is NO FUN, been there many times, don't risk it! good luck man!

which part of what i described is serious?

this is the generic response im getting on my r6 board.

that smoke is normal. that's why engines have a crankase breather hose connected to the airbox.

gasses build in the crankase while the engine is running.

the sound you hear normal.

that cap on the cover has a rubber o ring on it. try taking it off and cleaning it. it just might be dried out and needs a new one. it's not anything major.

hopefully it will quit once you remove it, clean it, and re install it.

(don't remove the whole cover just the cap thing)

if its the smoke- after thinking about it i know i've seen it before. again its not bellowing out, its just there, like a smoker...

clutch--i have heard it before i just wanted to know what it was. again just sounds like the plates engaging and disengaging. its not a serious sounding issue, im not that great at describing what i hear. and tried the video, can't hear it on there.

smell--nothing burning so not worrying too much about this one.

Touchy, yeeeeoooow! :p

haha no touchy...

UPDATE--thanks for freaking me out 12 haha:

pulled plates out, inspected them with micrometer and flush surface. all within spec and no bluing.

oil is draining as we speak...nothing unusual in oil, no metal flakes or anything of that nature

(i got a sudden burst of energy...)

I hate to say most problems are the last thing worked on, but it's often the case. Me included. When you did the clutch, did you opt out for new clutch springs? Did you at least keep them all in the same place and same order? Clutch springs often get weak and need new ones, or get scrambled and get cranky. Sounds a little like clutch chatter, which in my book gets blamed on the springs, providing everything else is ok. It only takes one weak spring to mess things up. Double check those part numbers also, to make sure it was the right friction plates. Sometimes there are small differences betweens years of one model. I don't know your bike that well, but it's that way with some Hondas.

The smoke coming out is probably normal, it's cooking down in there, after all. Check some other bikes and see what they are doing. Since the engine is running, the back sides of the pistons are pumping air back and forth. As well as the gear clusters.

Oil leak, yes, clean or replace gasket. If that's where a shaft turns, check the oil seal on that shaft, it might be leaking. A little is ok, a lot is not.

The point is... when you clutch it in, the springs compress, and the noise goes away. When let out, the springs rely upon a tiny bit of nearly un-sprung force to hold things together. When weak, they won't do that very well. So did you spec the springs when they were out? Inspection, overall unsprung height check, and test on a spring compression checking tool. Beware that some springs do not like to be fully compressed, and can be damaged.

hmm clutch springs. didn't think of that. yes i did make sure to keep them in the exact spot and order in removal and re-installation. ill have to check that out next time i open her up.

o and yes they are the correct friction plates to be installed on my model.

springs are only 4 bucks a pop, ill order those tomorrow.

An o-ring is an o-ring. They're pretty generic, I'd make sure it was made from HNBR though, and not your run-of-the-mill NBR compound.

PM me if you really care about the intricacies of o-ring compounds - I spent 2 years of my life researching seals and compounds trying to solve a problem at work. HNBR is just "better" NBR, better high temp resistance, better resistance to fluids, better wear characteristics. That is assuming the o-ring you removed was HNBR, and not something fancy like FKM, or some other fluoroelastomer.

I'd seriously look at high quality after-market spring sets. Mostly because Honda is not known for their spring quality, and I'll migrate that over to the other Japanese bikes. Any that I have tried, I've been more than happy with. I have nothing against stock parts, it's one of the best choices. It's just that sometimes there is something better. If it's high force springs, better check the clutch cable, lube everything up, and carry a spare. I used to put a new one on, and keep the old one right there in the same place, tied down, ready to go, if I needed it.

If you take the oil fill cap off any bike while its running smoke/oil will normally come out. There is pressure inside of your motor while its running is normal. Is the hose from your crankcase breather to the airbox kinked? Also if you just put a new clutch in are ALL the springs tight? That could be the sound you hear. Since it only takes 15 min and a $5 gasket i would take it apart and check it. If anything in there comes loose you will have major problems.

Glad to hear everything in the engine was ok! better safe than sorry, whenever you suspect something could be wrong, always best to check it out! The clutch springs and breather hose are both great suggestions, I change out my clutch springs with I change my clutch plates.