murky waters

Adam

Thats a neat problem. If its not fed by a creek then it would be still water so there may not be alot that can be done. I see alot of ponds in the hay fields and they are usually dryed pretty good in the middle of summer and fill back up again through the wetter months. Why would you want to clear it anyway?

Evan

to swim in or just to be able to do something with it at sometime, it is a recently built pond so the water is very muddy. I thought carp cleaned mud from water, maybe i'll just put a whole bunch of those sucker fish in there until they are about 12 feet long

Zebra mussels also are killing the walleye population in Lake Erie... those things are bad news. Fountains are good for air-rating(sp) the water. Id put some catfish in there for sure. Try to line the bottom with soft stones to help fish breed.

I will ask my wife (who is the director of franklin county greenways at MORPC).

She helped start the watershed movement in Ohio and knows a ton about fresh water conservation.

PS zebra mussels are the worst thing you can do!!

Joshua

SlowMotion Motorsports

My neighbor has a similar type of pond. He installed a windmill that runs an air pump to aerate the water. I would not say that the pond is algae free but it is much better that the other ponds in the neighborhood. Or you could use copper; it makes the water a pretty bluish/green color. :)

Shad

depends on what the problem is. My dad (hydrologist) says many differnet things can cause the water clarity to be poor.

Lack of O2 can cause the algae growth to increase. Nitrates can as well, go buy an aquarium test kit and test for nitrites and nitrates. If you have a high nitrate count you need more plants to suck them up.

mussels filter water, dont put in zebra mussels