Mailbox bashing

nurkvinny

I have a 3/8 steel plate mail box. Vandal proof as it gets.

Thing is, you can NOT bury a steel post and fill it with concrete to mount it on. I did that back in the day when we had a guy with a tube bumper sticking a pipe in his bumper and driving down the road knocking down all the mail boxes. He got to ours and got flipped in the ditch. Nothing came of it but the County Sheriff said that it has to break away if it gets hit.

My solution was cut it off near the ground, weld a plate to the pipe coming out of the ground and another plate on the bottom of the pipe the box was on then bolt it together with 1/4 inch soft (grade 3 ) nut and bolts.

Mind you a small car hitting it will snd it through the windshield.

Mount it on the left side of a 4x6 post. You have to watch what/how you put that thing out there, if a snowplow accidentally hits it and breaks the plow off it will cost you big.

If you put it so the post is higher than the box you cannot hit it with a standard mailbox baseball setup. Ours is mounted between two telephone poles, we solved the problem.