Piece of shit truuck need advice

wnaplay1647545503

92 gmc 2500 extended cab truck. Initial problem, well still current problem, is the front wheels keep locking up. I have replaced both front calipers, repacked bearings, replaced pads, calipers, both front hoses and some brake line. Damn thing locked up again on me this morning. I tried pulling it with a chain but it wouldn't roll. Had to have towed to my shop at work. Any suggestions?

Guest Removed
caliper mount bent? take the wheel off and see whats up yet? with all those new parts something maybe sticking out .IMO sounds like the that side is getting real hot and seizing on, like if the rotors arent true, can cause that brakes too get real hot and seize up till it cools down.

Next time it locks up, open the brake bleeders on the front axles. If it unlocks, start looking at the proportioning valve and master cylinder. If it srays locked, it is something mechanical on the caliper (or your bleeder is boned)

This post fuled by King Cobra, Hens Tooth, and Bud Ice.

Next time it locks up, open the brake bleeders on the front axles. If it unlocks, start looking at the proportioning valve and master cylinder. If it srays locked, it is something mechanical on the caliper (or your bleeder is boned)

This post fuled by King Cobra, Hens Tooth, and Bud Ice.

Bleeder on the axle? No the wheels are original.

Mike actually the truck isnt far from your house. Its on 14th off cassady. I might be able to find someone to watch the kids. What time are you available? I dont know what I am even looking at so you would be the mechanic and I'd be the helper. I can load up my tools and meet you up there. Also I was going to ask you if you still had that truck. I have someone interested if your selling.

Mike actually the truck isnt far from your house. Its on 14th off cassady. I might be able to find someone to watch the kids. What time are you available? I dont know what I am even looking at so you would be the mechanic and I'd be the helper. I can load up my tools and meet you up there. Also I was going to ask you if you still had that truck. I have someone interested if your selling.

I'm available all day. I just have to run to Easton for about an hour. Do you still have my number?

-Mike

Update. Mike(302powered) and I went up to look at it tonight and he thinks I might not have got the brakes bleed good enough and theres air trapped in the lines. Or there appears to be some leaking in a connection between lines and air has entered the system. But the truck started driveing fine when we started up and drove without a problem. Although we didnt drive it to the point where it usually starts locking up. Got the drivers caliper off and it wouldnt compress back in. Cracked the bleeder and there was some serious pressure on the line. Got it put back together and sometime this week I will get it back apart and try to find leaks and bleed the brakes again.

Thanks again Mike for giving me a hand tonight and help me start looking in the right direction.

I talked to a buddy of mine that works at a shop and he said that air in the line will cause a loose pedal. But mine is very stiff. I asked about the proportioning valve and he said it is a very rare problem, in 11 years he has only seen one go bad and it was a manuf. error. Said it cant be booster or master cylinder and he's leaning towards bad reman. calipers. I know I have a problem with the drivers side and have directed my attention to that side. I thought I had a problem with possibly both sides so I went ahead and replaced matching parts for each. I guess I will take the calipers off and try to exchange them and try again. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Sounds like a problem with the rubber hoses going from the calipers to the metal part of the line on the frame. Alot of GM trucks from 86 to around 98 had problems with the lines. Mainly they had problems with the lines getting weak and causing a spongy pedal, but in some cases the lines could get crushed or otherwise damaged. I think I'd replace them. Can't hurt anything and they probably need replaced anyway. Also alot of people spend time replacing calipers when its actually the those rubber lines that are the cause. I used to own a 1995 GMC 1500 so I've been through the rounds.

Evan

Sounds like a problem with the rubber hoses going from the calipers to the metal part of the line on the frame. Alot of GM trucks from 86 to around 98 had problems with the lines. Mainly they had problems with the lines getting weak and causing a spongy pedal, but in some cases the lines could get crushed or otherwise damaged. I think I'd replace them. Can't hurt anything and they probably need replaced anyway. Also alot of people spend time replacing calipers when its actually the those rubber lines that are the cause. I used to own a 1995 GMC 1500 so I've been through the rounds.

Evan

The rubber hoses and calipers have both been replaced.

-Mike

Ah damn well then bleed it good and I guess you get to visually see that the calipers move in and out. Then I doubt that yal are putting to much torque on the wheel bearings because they only need to be finger tight and you probably already know that. If its got ABS it could need to be bleed once by a dealer or some other facility that knows how to do a true ABS system bleed. I know that on the GM truck that I had you actually have to jumper some pins on the connector to get the whole system done correctly.

That GM truck was about the most annoying vehicle I ever had as far as front breaks go. The darn thing would pull to the left 9 times out of 10 and then that remaining time it would pull to the right. Crazy UAW. Good luck.

Evan