2000 3.8 Grand Prix surging

Lustalbert

Wife GP is surging, starts out fine, however mild acceleration from ~35 - 60 yields a surging in the RPMs (aprox 500-700 rpm variance). Kind of like the torque converter is cycling in and out of lockup.

Also, there is a fair amount of whine when accelerating, almost sounds like blower whine. Shifts firmly, fluid level is good, fluid looks good and smells like tranny fluid should.

The car is in good shape, nothing else mechaicaly wrong, 120k on the clock.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks

My car would do this and I too thought it was the tranny locking/unlocking, it ended up being the fuel filter. It got so bad the car would stall out in the city. It was an 01 gtp, changed that and it ran perfect afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
My brother purchased a 2000 GP, 3.8 like 85K blah blah blah... Well it started doing this as well, took back to dealer where was purchased, they said it was an ignition missfire. So 450 bucks later (and me yelling at dad for paying that when his eldest son is a mechanic) 2 new coil packs, plugs, and wires it's still doing it. Took said car back to dealer, the DEALER techs can't find the cause. Find some TSB that was "slightly" relavant to the problem, and replaced the TPS. Big surprise, car was still doing it. Well marc was with out car for about a week, when he decided to trade it back in and get something else. About 2 days after Marc picked a newer, much more expensive pre-owned vehicle, the "factory trained" techs figured out the problem. The torque converter clutch solenoid was faulty inttermittently, which is what I had suspected all along, and TOLD the dealership. But no one listened to me. So The torque converter clutch solenoid is also something that you may want to consider.

My car would do this and I too thought it was the tranny locking/unlocking, it ended up being the fuel filter. It got so bad the car would stall out in the city. It was an 01 gtp, changed that and it ran perfect afterwards.

Mine's doing the whole stalling out thing right now, put new fuel filter in and it still does it. Could it need a new fuel pump too?