converting to projector headlights

evan9381

so a guy on another forum i frequent has a set of audi projector headlights. this is something ive been thinking of doing for a while, but am not sure exactly what i should be doing. im sure it will have to be a custom job since its not a honda/acura with all the aftermarket in the world. anyone know of a site that can explain how to do this in detail. i could just spend 250$ and get a set of 8k HIDs, but i dont feel like blinding all the people on the road

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming you're wanting to do a retro-fit to the Elantra right? Check out HIDTech.com and look on the second page of the "Projects" section. They have the parts needed (Projectors, Ballasts, D2S bulbs, and shrouds). As for installation, here's how DJ Hellfire on elantraxd.com did his:

Here is a quick DIY for doing this. Sorry, no pics.

1. Bake the headlight in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes.

2. Remove with oven mits.

3. Pry the headlight open with a screw driver, kniver, or your hands.

4. Let it cool for a few.

5. Back out the reflector from the housing by turning both aiming screws all

the way out.

6. Try to pull the back of the reflector off of the pivot joint behind the

reflector without cracking or braking the reflector or pivot. Try pulling straight out instead of on an angle. It will take a lot of strength and if you break it, do not blame me.

7. Dremel a big enough hole out of the middle of the low beam side of the reflector for the *** of the projector to stick out. Make sure it lines up with the hole in the back of the housing so it will be easy to put your bulbs in.

8. Drill holes around the big hole where the mounting screws will go.

9. Bolt the projector in with 3" long screws with nuts. Make sure the projector is sitting vertically and horizontally correct. Tighten the nuts. Also apply nuts where needed to keep the projector where you want it (front and back of reflector). And make sure you clean any dirt/dust off the projector lens and housing and clean the reflector as well.

10. Put everything back together but do not seal the headlight glass completely yet. But make sure your projector will clear the front glass with the shroud installed.

11. Install the headlights in your car and make sure the projectors are vert and hori correct.

12. Take everything back out and disassemble the reflector from the housing again. Make any necessary adjustments and repeat until it's straight.

13. Now apply epoxy or clear silicone to the nuts to make sure they don't move. Also apply epoxy/silicone between the back of the reflector and the projector housing so that projector is also secured to the reflectors.

14. Let it dry and harden.

15. Secure the shroud to the projector with epoxy/silicone and let it dry and harden. Don't get any on the lens, but if you do, clean it off immediately.

16. Put the reflector back in and snap it back onto the pivot joint.

17. Put the glass back on the housing as tight as possible.

18. Bake the headlight again for 7 minutes to get the glue soft.

19. Completely close the housing and hold closed until the glue cools of or else it may try to reopen itself.

20. Reinstall and enjoy your lights!

Again, he is the author of the quick DIY writeup.