Is it legal to....

grease monkey

Is it legal to drink in a boat, provided that you (the drinker) are not operating the craft??? I was un-able to find any info in the DNR's regulations stuff. I did see that the law and limit was the same for a boat operator as it is for an operator of a car, but I'm curious about passengers being able to drink while on a boat.

Drunks + Water = Idiots or to be more specific probly dead idiots...

Intoxicating Beverage

(1501:41-3-22)

No person shall overtly and publicly consume or display the presence of any beer or intoxicating liquor in any area administered by the Division of Parks and Recreation, except within the confines and privacy afforded in a cabin, lodge room, tent, or camping vehicle or in areas authorized by the Chief of the Division of Parks and Recreation.

this is probly what you already saw... all ohio waters and riviers have the same rules and regulations for boating operation.

Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs Prohibited/Testing

(ORC 1547.11 & ORC 1547.111)

No person shall operate or be in physical control of any vessel underway, or manipulate any water skis or similar device if the person is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. A person is in violation with a concentration of 0.08 or more Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

NOTE: Legal limit for persons under 21 years of age is 0.02 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Any person who operates a vessel, water skis or similar device shall be deemed to have given consent to a chemical test or tests of their blood, breath, or urine to determine alcohol or drug content if arrested. If a person under arrest refuses to submit to a chemical test the person is prohibited from operating a vessel or water skis or from registering a vessel for a one-year period. If the person is the owner of the vessel the registration certificate and tags will be impounded for a one-year period.

Penalty for Operating Under the

Influence of Alcohol or Drugs

Offense Minimum Maximum

First 3 days jail

$150 fine 6 months jail

$1,000 fine

Second 10 days jail

$150 fine 6 months jail

$1,000 fine

Third 30 days jail

$150 fine 6 months jail

$1,000 fine

see, i'm planning on getting on a boat with some buddies, doing a little fishing, and drinking a few beers, not drinking to point where I'm puking or anything, and yes I realize that you can hide the beer, or whatever, but I was just wondering if it was legal for me drink and fish on a boat, a boat which I have absolutely no intention of operating. Thats really all I wanted to know.

Just hide it.

I normally don't drink out on my boat, simply because I'm doing too much skiing/tubing, and would get dehydrated drinking while doing that.

But on vacation taking the boat out, I have no problems drinking on the boat. Just hid the booze in coozies when drinking it.

I hardly think that sitting on a pontoon boat, fishing, and drinking like 6-8 beers over a 5-6 hour period is "rolling the dice" any more than not consuming the beer at all. That amount of beer over that period at my weight is like drinking water. I just like the taste. So to all of you "roll of the dice" people, stop gaying up my thread.

P.S. Thanks to all who posted something revlant to the question I asked.