Fujita CAI

mmrmnhrm

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/sr1923.GIF

Just found that on Fujita's site. Could someone help me make some sense of it? From what little I know, it doesn't seem to improve things all that much over stock. I imagine it'd probably help when I'm trying to merge onto 270E from 315S, but apart from that, I'm at a loss. It's also a 'short ram' intake, versus 'cold air', if that makes a difference.

Evan, if I follow you right, you're saying a CAI adds more hp, but SRI better throttle. When you say throttle, do you mean low-end accelleration (which I could use), or something else? Would either have a more dramatic impact on efficiency? There's no way this thing is ever going to outrun someone, so extra horses aren't as useful as better pick-up and overall eff.

Ok, realized late last night that the dyno they had posted was actually for the '07 Fit. Emailed them, they fixed, so the correct graph is now shown. Call me dumb, but considering most of my accelleration is done below 3500rpm, it looks like I'd actually be shooting myself in the foot by adding this thing. Yes? No? Other factors that don't show up?

when i say throttle response, it seems that with a sri, it reacts quicker to the movement of the pedal, but when going for quickest acceleration, i like the top end power of the cai. it seems with the cai it takes a bit (ie, very small fraction of a second) for the throttle to catch up with what i want it to do

id say go w/ the cai. its going to draw cold air which is better than a sri pulling in hot air from under the hood

IIRC, kennebell released something stating that if a blower was installed with a SRI, they would not warranty anything due to the hot air under the hood causing problems...ill see if i can find it when i get home

you will get better throttle respone with a SRI or a CAI. Of the 2 the CAI will be better but depending on where it (the filter) is located it has the potental to also pick up water on heavy rain days or anywhere water can puddle.

There have been several of the Mazda 3 guys that have hydro-locked there engines using CAIs.

On my car I removed the intake resonator and put a drop in k&n. with just that I saw a big increase in throttle response and the engine revs quicker up till red-line. Did I get more HP? Probably a very little but I'm happier with the better throttle response because my throttle by wire is sluggish to say the least with my car being a auto.

sounds like the 3's engine is common to our beta2's in the elantra

a lot of people do worrry about hydrolock w/ a CAI. something i have done, which is more for peace of mind for daily driving/rainy days is on my fog light hole grille (since theres no fogs), i fabbed up a metal plate to keep any rain water or water coming from another car from hitting it directly. if you get down to that level, the filter sits about that low. as far as hydrolocking, (at least w/ my car, and it seems like the 3 too from your sig pic), you would have to drive through water that would go 1/2 way up your wheel, which is about whre the kick panel is to hav water on the filter. an AEM bypass valve will take air from the engine bay if your filter does become submerged. some guy from AEM who designed it (i believe) trusted it so much that he ran his nsx w/ the filter submerged in a tank of water and used the bypass to multiple redline pulls and it got no water

removing the intake resonator is also a big help...that what a lot of the elantra guys like to do who dont want to spend the whopping 40$ on an accord CAI (yes, it fits if you cut off about 6" of the piping into the fenderwell, and is 130$ cheaper than the cai made for the elantra)