A question for the computer geeks

Casper

Anybody seen an issue with the Windows Audio Service in Windows XP SP2 stopping on its own or failing to start at bootup? I runs inside the svchost process which is loading normally. No network issues, so we're good there. No spyware/adware. No longhorn updates or scripts. This is happening on several computers. No real connection though except they are all IBM 8183-36Us. I can't find anything on IBM's site. Googled it only to find things about Longhorn audio DLLs causing an error and spyware/adware possibly being able to cause it by hijacking the svchost process. Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Anybody seen an issue with the Windows Audio Service in Windows XP SP2 stopping on its own or failing to start at bootup? I runs inside the svchost process which is loading normally. No network issues, so we're good there. No spyware/adware. No longhorn updates or scripts. This is happening on several computers. No real connection though except they are all IBM 8183-36Us. I can't find anything on IBM's site. Googled it only to find things about Longhorn audio DLLs causing an error and spyware/adware possibly being able to cause it by hijacking the svchost process. Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Spyware comes to mind first off... but I haven't heard anything else about this. What are we talking about audio card wise? This onboard or PCI or what?

You might want to format and reinstall windows and see if that fixes one of the boxes... Could be windows update? I've seen issues with updates stopping services randomly...

Open Services, is it set to automatic? Right click the service and check the properties.

Under the recovery tab, you may want to tell it to restart the service after the first fail. Double-check the services that audio is dependent of, you may just be seeing the surface of a larger issue. Recovery of RPC service should be a restart.

Is this Pro or home?

Open Services, is it set to automatic? Right click the service and check the properties.

Under the recovery tab, you may want to tell it to restart the service after the first fail. Double-check the services that audio is dependent of, you may just be seeing the surface of a larger issue. Recovery of RPC service should be a restart.

Is this Pro or home?

Heh he should of did this before asking :D But yes that is a good point. Street pilot

So yeah, I've already checked the service. Its set to automatic. If it wasn't starting, it wouldn't be able to stop on its own. It is set to restart after first fail. It still stops. As for reinstalling Windows, this is multiple images all on one type of PC. The audio chipset is onboard, whatever IBM uses.