Forged block??

V8 Beast

I'm about to go that route. I'm thinking I should go 346. I've decided to get a turbo over a procharger. And I'm planning on using my nitrous contoller to balance out my hp curve. With a cam swap and a new block I figure that will put me where I want to be. Thoughts??

If I was putting the money up that is required to go turbo I would go all the way and get a 408. Once you add up all that is required to forge your stock motor I think you'll find "I could a had a 408". The extra cubes will help the power down low so maybe you will not need the nitrous. When I checked into it a year ago there was not that much differnce between a forged 346 and a forged 408.

Check this link out:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/categoryM.asp?MID=1&catid=3

For about $800 more you can go from a 347 cu in to a 408. The 347 is aluminum and the 408 is iron but a lot of guys prefer the iron for handling boost.

Quite a bit of research has proved that a smaller displacement engine will be more reliable and make marginally less power at the same amount of boost. Go do some research on LS1Tech in the Forced Induction section to see many examples of why I'm going with a 347 versus a 400+ ci displacement.

Before anything else, do something with that stock 4L60E. I'm surprised you're already not running into problems with it, but it's coming, soon.

Guest powers
stock crank I would use up to around 800 hp. Stock block around the same. There are people who have gone above this but I would not do it. I would go with a stroker as it will open your option up a little in the big turbo depeartment and still have a nice power band due to the sooner spool time. Peak numbers are groovy on the net but a nice fat power curve wins races. Do you want to go twins or single? Also I agree with Joe TH400.

Guest powers
Dart already makes a block for these..

drag car= glide

more street= th400

I don't think dart does but world has their warhawk available for the lsx

http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/086210.htm

and that block is new enough to not be in my price guide.

If dart does make one see if you can find the part number I would like to look up the cost.

X = smaller displacement

Y = large displacement

Z = a given amount of boost

R = engine RPM

let X(Z) be hp/tq output of X on Z at R

let Y(Z) be hp/tq output of Y on Z at R

For all values of R > 0 where Z is a real number X(Z) < Y(Z)

I vote larger displacement, it will make the best power. Larger displacement will generally wear a little quicker, but at the power levels you'll be at it you won't notice a difference. Make sure everything is balanced nicely for the least amount of wear.

I was going with a single turbo and nitrous. I thought about a tt setup, but its over $9000 to have it installed and tuned by GMR. I was going with a 346 because I heard of issues with reliability too. It also makes sense why Anthony went 347. I was thinking of a nice iron block, and reducing weight in other areas to make up for it. John I'm going to look into that block. If it can hold 2000 then it should be nice and durable. The tranny is holding up for now, but after I start spraying I know its going to be the first thing to go. I'm just trying to do the impossible and build a fast/reliable car. We all know that more power=more broke parts.

Sizing a single turbo with more CI becomes difficult, you have to go to a large frame on a motor that would make 500rwhp NA. At that point packaging (aka, hanging a 60lbs turbo) becomes an issue for a street car. Granted you could undersize the turbo and destroy the motor/turbo in short order, but what fun is that.

If you go to a larger CI engine the best option would be a twin setup (like 35's).

Spool up and a broad powerband with a larger single isnt an issue if its set up correctly. I have a large frame 88 with a 1.06 exhaust housing on my "tiny" 357 and I see full boost in higher gears by 3500 or so. Granted in first it doesnt do much (its a 5 speed car). With an automatic and the correct converter it would be an issue at all.

Now that I think about placement, I could do an under car set up with a tt and room wouldnt be an issue. Throwing an 88 on the front is possible, but it adds weight to a front heavy car. If I go with 347 and a twin 64 or 66 I would have a beast on my hands. But like Rob said 35's-42's would be more realistic. I thought I saw a kit that would allow me to keep my ac, but if push comes to shove it could be relocated. Ok guys I'm off to look for a second job :D

What about twin 57s almost like the cobra setup? You could mount lower under the car and with the larger displacement, spool shouldn't be too much of a problem. You could use a small shot to spool if you wanted. Maybe run the TT plus a 2 stage, 1st stage 50 shot, 2nd with 100 shot?