Questions on a 5pt harness? Also, where to get aluminum paneling? Track question

Bam

I'm putting race buckets/harness in my car this week and was looking through the jegs catalog, are the RCI ones any good? 5pt harness, $70/each, doesn't say if its certified or whatever, but then again, none of them advertise that. Also, which is better, pull up or pull down? Anyone care to explain why? This will be my first set and I'm just confused on this question. Also, I don't have a cage in the car yet, so should I mount it using existing holes in the floor w/ the mounting hardware they sell?

I'm also looking for a few sheets of aluminum, probably 3x4 ft each, anyone know the best place to get this, it can be ultra thin.

Lastly, what's the rules on running at Trails? Do your windows have to be movable, for a street car? How fast do you have to be to require a helmet/suit, etc?

Thanks guys, I'll probably add other random questions in this post during the course of this week.

- Why are you putting a harness into a car w/ out a cage? Trust me, they are cool for about 2 days, then just a PITA. I have mine because I have to.

- I'll never own another harness that's not a camlock. Latch styles suck; they are cheaper for a reason. Just sucks the damn things expire every two years. :rolleyes:

- NHRA hardtop rules, 13.99 and faster requires a SN95+ helmet (SN98+ next year)

- NHRA requires a 3-2A or better jacket for 11.99 to 10.0

- My shoulder belts are attached to the center bar of my rollbar. My lap belts are through the stock belt mounts. My crotch strap is attached to my Wolfe crotchstrap bar.

- Why are you putting a harness into a car w/ out a cage? Trust me, they are cool for about 2 days, then just a PITA. I have mine because I have to.

Because the seatbelts in my car are broken, and I don't have the extra cash for a cage right now but I want to run it at the track once/twice this season to see what difference I can make for next season

- I'll never own another harness that's not a camlock. Latch styles suck; they are cheaper for a reason. Just sucks the damn things expire every two years. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip about the belts, and I didn't know they expired, which does suck.

- NHRA hardtop rules, 13.99 and faster requires a SN95+ helmet (SN98+ next year)

Ouch, I'll definitly need a helmet, will they kick me out after one run sub 13.99? Or just at the end of the day tell me not to come back without one?

- NHRA requires a 3-2A or better jacket for 11.99 to 10.0

Well those times will come next year, so something I will need to buy, thanks!

Thanks for the help...and critizism, lol.

And eric, the paneling isn't for the firewall, but that's an idea, care to elaborate?

Thanks guys

I'm putting race buckets/harness in my car this week and was looking through the jegs catalog, are the RCI ones any good? 5pt harness, $70/each, doesn't say if its certified or whatever, but then again, none of them advertise that. Also, which is better, pull up or pull down? Anyone care to explain why? This will be my first set and I'm just confused on this question. Also, I don't have a cage in the car yet, so should I mount it using existing holes in the floor w/ the mounting hardware they sell?

I'm also looking for a few sheets of aluminum, probably 3x4 ft each, anyone know the best place to get this, it can be ultra thin.

Lastly, what's the rules on running at Trails? Do your windows have to be movable, for a street car? How fast do you have to be to require a helmet/suit, etc?

Thanks guys, I'll probably add other random questions in this post during the course of this week.

I have RCI in my car and they are fine. If your buying new ones they will be legal for a few years, do double check they are SFI rated though.

I find due to the way you sit in the car the pull-down straps work better for the shoulder and the pull-ups better for the lap belts and sub-strap as you can pull everything towards yourself. Plus in a bucket the seat can get in the way of a pull-down lap belt. My .02 on those.

As for mounting, they sell hardware to bolt them in, just make sure you use reinforced places to bolt them to, like your stock seatbelt locations. A cage is best of course and don't buy the harnesses longer than you need to as the longer they are the more they can strech.

Def. get the Camlocks, much easier to use!!

RCI is a good brand. That's what I have in my Stealth. You do realize how dangerous it is to have a 4+ point seatbelt with no cage right? In the case of a rollover those type of belts will keep you in the upright position leading to potential head trauma or decapitation. I've heard neither one is all that much fun.