Questions on Ford 2.3L Turbos

lemosley01

I'm looking at an 86 TBird Supercoupe that has a turbo with a bad seal. The guy has a spare turbo (T3, I believe it is) but it needs to be rebuilt.

How much does a turbo cost to rebuild?

Anyone local have a good turbo on hand I could buy for not much? I need the car as a daily driver, but also wanted something I could mod and have a little fun with.

most shops would just send it away to a place or do it themselves. proly no more then 500. that was how much passen said it would cost to get my old 2.3 turbo ford t3 turbo rebuilt. also check turboford.org you might be able to pick up a good t3 there for cheap

Scott - I might need that. I've been on turbofords, but figured I would ask the local people to see what they know.

Since I am turbo illiterate, how much is generally need to upgrade a turbo on something like a 86 Turbocoupe? Tuning required, etc, or is it just plug and play (provided the housings all match up and you aren't going crazy with the boost)?

it would be running if we would have done eec-IV mass air........

there has been debates on turboford, so i wont get into it, basically because i dont care

but my whole point of going megasquirt is to get rid of the Vam and or MAF, yes you can find Mass air sensors capable of measuring more air than these engine can ever move, but I still dont want that restriciton before or after the turbo

My megasquirt is going to be MAP sensor, I assume yours in too Derek?

Scott, I'll dig around on turbo ford to see if i can find the link, its a lengthy and boring at times debate

edit... http://www.turboford.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=042260;p=1

thats the one thread that comes to mind, its not a MAF vs MAP specific thread, but it argues about each if you read through the thread

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Didn't by the T-bird - found an 89 LX convertible with an 88 turbocoupe swap motor in it. I know this car doesn't have as much power as the 99 Cobra I just traded in, but it seeems to get up and move pretty well at 10psi, and that turbo spooling sound is soo cool!

What is the rev limit on the 2.3L turbos? 5500RPMS? Car has a K&N filter on it, any other good cheap mods I should make?

I need to pull and check the plugs. How does one tell if the distributor rotor and plug wires should be replaced?