Father wins $70k in landmark Child Support Case

chrismindless

http://www.paternityfraudaustralia.com.au/index.html

:banana: :disco: :banana: :disco: :D

A World Landmark Paternity Fraud Case

- Husband wins $70,000

In March 2000, Liam Magill of Melbourne, Australia, discovered that 2 of the 3 children born during his marriage were not his biological offspring.

Liam Magill

In 2001, DNA paternity testing proved that a trusted family friend, Derek John Rowe, was actually the biological father of the 2 youngest children. Evidence later proved that Derek John Rowe and Liam's ex-wife had a 6 year affair, 4 of which were during her marriage to Liam and started shortly after she married Liam. Liam was awarded damages of $70,000.

http://www.paternityfraudaustralia.com.au/images/l_magill.jpg

In addition, the government's child support collection agency has the legal responsibility to recover both the child support that Liam paid after the end of his relationship with his ex and the cost of raising the 2 children while he acted as the children's father as a result of the paternity deceit before the separation.

The 2 children in question and Liam's biological child may even seek to sue their own mother for damages when they become of legal age since their lives have been damaged so much by the mother's irresponsible damaging behaviour.

DETAILS:

A Landmark Decision”

By Vivien Mavropoulos, Instructing Solicitor for Liam Magill

On January 31, 2002, Mr. Magill issued proceedings in the County court based on the law of deceit. Mr. Magill alleged that he suffered loss and damages for loss of earnings and use of moneys and also for personal injuries, comprising severe anxiety and depression in consequence of false representations made by Mrs Magill as to the paternity of two of their three children.

On November 22, 2002, His Honour Judge Hanlon of the County Court found that Mrs. Magill had no genuine belief in her assertions that Mr. Magill was the father of the two children or at the very least was reckless as to that belief and awarded $70,000.00 in Mr. Magill’s favour comprising:

(a) $30,000.00 for general damages relating to pain & suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, past, present and future;

(b) $35,000.00 for past economic loss, constituted primarily by expenses of the children;

© $5,000.00 for future economic loss.

Mrs. Magill appealed to the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria. On March 17, 2005, the Court of Appeal overturned the judgment of Judge Hanlon.

The reasons of the Court of Appeal establish, among other things, the following matters:

First, the law of deceit is not confined to a commercial context but rather has general and flexible application. In particular, Eames J said “there is no legal impediment to the bringing of a claim in deceit in a domestic situation between cohabitating couples such as the Magill Case”.

Secondly, the Court of Appeal rejected the view that such action would cut across the no-fault approach to family law and would open the floodgates to litigation. Eames J qualified this reasoning as follows; “whilst there is good reason to discourage traumatic litigation such as in the case of Magill, it is not the function of the court to apply social considerations so as to deny a party a remedy which is otherwise open to him or her.”

Thirdly, His Honour Justice Eames upheld Judge Hanlon’s finding that the representations were false and were made without any genuine belief or were made recklessly.

Fourthly, however the Court of Appeal held that Mr Magill did not rely on the naming by Mrs Magill of Mr Magill as the father of the children on the birth notification forms sufficiently for the purposes of the law of deceit.

In coming to its decision, the Court of Appeal noted that the case should not be seen as a precedent “which was likely to control the outcome of any similar proceedings.” In other words, it is open to bring an action based on the law of deceit for paternity fraud.

Liam Magill has now successfully sought and been granted special leave to appeal to the High Court of Australia. The Full Bench will now hear this case in Canberra on 7 April 2006.

The 2 children in question and Liam's biological child may even seek to sue their own mother for damages when they become of legal age since their lives have been damaged so much by the mother's irresponsible damaging behaviour.

ftw. glad to hear that stupid slut got what was coming to her.

If it happened to you Brian you would wish it was, wouldn't you?

I would be hurt that my wife lied about the affair. I would be devastated to find out that the children were not mine. I don't think there is any amount of money I could be awarded to cover that. I know it sounds crazy but wait till you have a child of your own everything and I mean everything is different.

If you guys read the whole story you will first see this:

In addition, the government's child support collection agency has the legal responsibility to recover both the child support that Liam paid after the end of his relationship with his ex and the cost of raising the 2 children while he acted as the children's father as a result of the paternity deceit before the separation.

So when this lawsuit came about he was already divorced, and already paying court ordered child support. So it would appear he already didn't have custody of the children, therefore he didn't really "lose" anything. I'm guessing he was suspicious for a number of reasons, and was tired of paying for kids that weren't really his, wouldn't you be too? This lawsuit was just a legal route to get some of his money back from his dishonest hobag of an ex wife. It doesn't say a word about whether or not he can maintain a personal relationship with the 3 children he raised.

Also, according to this article at least, he wasn't awarded anything yet. The initial ruling was overturned, and was headed to the High Court:

Mrs. Magill appealed to the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria. On March 17, 2005, the Court of Appeal overturned the judgment of Judge Hanlon. Liam Magill has now successfully sought and been granted special leave to appeal to the High Court of Australia. The Full Bench will now hear this case in Canberra on 7 April 2006.

If you guys read the whole story you will first see this:

So when this lawsuit came about he was already divorced, and already paying court ordered child support. So it would appear he already didn't have custody of the children, therefore he didn't really "lose" anything. I'm guessing he was suspicious for a number of reasons, and was tired of paying for kids that weren't really his, wouldn't you be too? This lawsuit was just a legal route to get some of his money back from his dishonest hobag of an ex wife. It doesn't say a word about whether or not he can maintain a personal relationship with the 3 children he raised.

Also, according to this article at least, he wasn't awarded anything yet. The initial ruling was overturned, and was headed to the High Court:

true he may not of had custody of the children but he still believed they were his and loved them as his own (I would guess) then finding out after wards they were not his. For me that would be crushing. money would be not be a issue for me.

^^^ white trash will do anything for a free flight to LA and 3 hot squares a day!

hate those shows, just amplifying the absolute lowest levels of garbage we ALL pay to support.

Millions of dads across the globe are hoping this suit goes through because once it does, then that will lead the way to some much needed family court reform!