paypal ?'s

jamesn69camaro

i never used paypal and a frined told me to be wearly tonite of scams ....someone wants to buy my plasma tv 42inch for 1200$ said he only had a credit card and had to use paypal to buy it .i asked for 1000 for it so hes paying 200$ more for letign him pay this way ... how secure is this for me can he pay on paypal and pick up the tv and cancel the paypal or get his $ back and keep the tv where by screwing me ? theres too many scams out there i just want to be safe

I'd be weary of someone throwing in an extra 200 just for letting him pay the way he wants.

He could get a cash advance on the card and not be $200 down if he pays the balance in less than a year.

He may be legit, who knows? Good luck

He may be legit. Many people who accept paypal (I have a commercial account) would not take the $1000 on pp if the customer were picking up the item. This is because the seller is charged 2.9% in fees by paypal. If I were selling something that expensive and the buyer were picking it up I'd either take 1/2 by pp as a deposit or charge them the pp fees as a handling charge.

Paypal is the ONLY way to buy off the internet. Call them and give em the persons Paypal ID. They will tell you if they are verified or not. I think it's easier to get refunded if screwed by a verified user. I was on a iPod purchase and Paypal gave me all my money back..Took a few days for them to contact the seller and crap, but I got it.

• 2 weeks later...
well evendently there not verified and i found out this too late ... the funds were reversed and the creditcard was stolen so they have my tv 1200$ he was suposed to pay and i have nothing! merry freaking christmas to me !detective said even though i have the plate # of his friends that picked the tv up they can play stupid and noone get charged ... score -1200 for ohio laws !anyone know how to trace liscense plates ? bmv stoped leting the general public do it .i have some canceled cell phone numbers he used verison i think and 3 email addresses 2 still being good . WATCH OUT FOR PAY PAL SCAMS and craigslist in general suck...

well evendently there not verified and i found out this too late ... the funds were reversed and the creditcard was stolen so they have my tv 1200$ he was suposed to pay and i have nothing! merry freaking christmas to me !detective said even though i have the plate # of his friends that picked the tv up they can play stupid and noone get charged ... score -1200 for ohio laws !anyone know how to trace liscense plates ? bmv stoped leting the general public do it .i have some canceled cell phone numbers he used verison i think and 3 email addresses 2 still being good . WATCH OUT FOR PAY PAL SCAMS and craigslist in general suck...

Damn, sorry to hear that. Good luck

I didn't find out anything. Both of the phone numbers are for pay-as-you-go cell phones that you can buy at Wal-mart. so they have no personal info tied to them. The only thing that I could find on the cell phones is that the guy downloaded a special ring tone. Also no personal info there. I came up empty with the plate number. The name that the guy gave you was fake also it is a very generic name there are about 15 here in central Ohio. Sorry I really could not find anything useful.

I hope you get your t.v. back.

Everyone can learn something from this thread. Note the beginning post, "said he only had a credit card and had to use paypal to buy it .i asked for 1000 for it so hes paying 200$ more for letign him pay this way"

This deals with someone offering to pay more than the asking price for something, too good to be true comes to mind.

This post, "Paypal is the ONLY way to buy off the internet. Call them and give em the persons Paypal ID. They will tell you if they are verified or not. I think it's easier to get refunded if screwed by a verified user. I was on a iPod purchase and Paypal gave me all my money back..Took a few days for them to contact the seller and crap, but I got it." Shows that one way of doing things on the Internet isn't the only way of doing things and also illustrates why Internet advice should be taken with a grain of salt (including this Internet advice).

I guess what I am saying is if you get the nagging feeling you are being scammed, YOU ARE. Sorry man, just so we all know what was the paypal ID?

And, if anyone knows the URL to do a verify please let us all know.