Dog Help!

TheHaze

I have a Staffordshire Terrier named Rocky. I've had him since he was about 3 months old and he's about 2 now. As I got home this evening I walk into my house to find my older dog, who is 14 years old, bleeding from the mouth because Rocky bit him while fighting over popcorn that my brother was throwing them. Should I worry about this? He's never bitten anyone or anything before and is generally a baby to everything. He was scared as hell when I walked in so I know he knew it was wrong. I'm not even sure if he meant to bite him or if he lunged at popcorn and got excited and bit him instead.

Sounds like a real problem... you should put him down.

It would bother me if you were serious.

The only time he has showed aggression was when I brought him to the vet, he jumped up on the vet while wagging his tail and started licking her. She literally hit him in the face with her hand and shoved him off of her. He backed up and started growling at her but he still approached her and let her handle him with no problems. He likes people and dogs as long as he doesn't think they're going to harm his family. He plays with my other dog all the time.

What I want is to see if anyone on here has had a problem or knows any sort of training techniques or maybe some advice in case he actually did try to show aggression by biting.

Many people with Bully breeds tell you not to leave a male alone with other males. Especially, now that your Staffy has come of age. My AmStaff is fine with female companions as long as they are submissive. When your brother was throwing popcorn at them, it created a situation that involved competition. Without the dominant male, ie; packleader (you) there to regulate, it stepped to next in line which the Staffy probably considers itself. Keep a close eye on them and if a pecking order can be established without serioud injury, let it. Don't forget your the boss and never freak out. Remain in control at all times. If you get panicky in a situation, the other dogs will pick up on it and react accordingly. It really is hard to give good advice without seeing how the dogs are in person. Shit, I sound like f'n Dog Whisperer. I'm out before I put on roller blades and skate to your house with my pack of dogs...

Many people with Bully breeds tell you not to leave a male alone with other males. Especially, now that your Staffy has come of age. My AmStaff is fine with female companions as long as they are submissive. When your brother was throwing popcorn at them, it created a situation that involved competition. Without the dominant male, ie; packleader (you) there to regulate, it stepped to next in line which the Staffy probably considers itself. Keep a close eye on them and if a pecking order can be established without serioud injury, let it. Don't forget your the boss and never freak out. Remain in control at all times. If you get panicky in a situation, the other dogs will pick up on it and react accordingly. It really is hard to give good advice without seeing how the dogs are in person. Shit, I sound like f'n Dog Whisperer. I'm out before I put on roller blades and skate to your house with my pack of dogs...

Shit, that's spot on. When he's around me he basically follows me and looks at me when he doesn't know what to do. I didn't think of it being about me not being there to control him.

Would you think it'd be best if he stayed in his own area until I get home?

Maybe it'd be best if you can't trust him. When you break it down, your other dog is old and all it takes is one slip while your gone. Be sure he's got plenty to do as I know they can have alot of energy and get restless. They can always spend time together if they like while you're there.

That's the best advice I can think of given I've had no experience with your dogs.

Many people with Bully breeds tell you not to leave a male alone with other males. Especially, now that your Staffy has come of age. My AmStaff is fine with female companions as long as they are submissive. When your brother was throwing popcorn at them, it created a situation that involved competition. Without the dominant male, ie; packleader (you) there to regulate, it stepped to next in line which the Staffy probably considers itself.

Keep a close eye on them and if a pecking order can be established without serioud injury, let it. Don't forget your the boss and never freak out. Remain in control at all times. If you get panicky in a situation, the other dogs will pick up on it and react accordingly. It really is hard to give good advice without seeing how the dogs are in person.

/clap.

thank you, its so rare to see someone who knows about bully breeds.

And to be honest, this DOES apply to most dogs, not just bully breeds.

I hope rockys mouth is doing better. I woudlnt recomend sharing food with them any more though ;)

That's why I almost think it was an accident. Every day they eat right next to each other and don't steal from each other. They don't fight or growl or anything. He's gentile enough to the point that you can stick food in his face and he won't even sniff it until you give him the okay. But I think Christian is right about me not being there.

lol @ his neck ornament. I try to tell people that bully breeds are not '1st dog owner' breeds. Even then, they're still just not for some. If you have the time to mold that energy and intelligence, they are some of the best dogs you'll ever own. I've had Border Collies (one of the best breeds on earth), Chows, a ridgeback, two mastiffs, coon dogs, shitloads of mixed breeds and half/halfs, etc. I can make that list loonnggg. Managed pet stores, worked at pounds. I've had so many different species of animals even at once that my friends used to jokingly call me Noah for the line of animals that would follow me around when I used to live on my property. And they all got along. Rabbits, dogs, cats, chickens, goats, horse, pigeons; I love animals, lol.

Here's my little buddy. He's the most well behaved dog you'll ever meet. Let me tell ya, he didn't come that way, though. :rolleyes: He needs a woman if anyone knows anyone who has a female bully breed of any kind they want to breed. He's getting older and I don't own any offspring from him. The female blue AmStaff puppy in one of those pics was for him, but the xgf and I broke up and that fell through. doh He makes a special appearance in the 3rd pic of my sig if you click on it.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/ImUrOBGYN/Titan/

Oh, and if you want some really high quality, inexpensive dog stuff, ie; harnesses, collars, leashes, etc., especially leather, let me know. I've got the hookup.

Here is my Olde English Bulldog. His name is Guss and is about 2 years old now.

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/23122552270.jpg

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/2312255059.jpg

He is the most loveable and emotional dog you will ever see. I got him when my son was not quite 2yrs old. I did this so they would grow up together. My son is so rough with him, they are like brothers. You DO NOT, not even me go ANYWHERE near his food!

My Bro-n-law has the same dog as you do and he is the same exact size and age as Guss. Well, when they were pup's, not even a year old we were feeding them on the back porch, a mixture of vegy's and eggs etc. Guss approached the other dogs bowl (after finshing his) and it was on! It was hard to break them appart.

Anyway, Guss is so protective of my son that we have to disipline my son in a seperate room. If not, Guss will try to attack us. lol

It's normal. Just worn people not to go near or involve food with the dog.

Yeah, I'm the only one allowed to go near his food. I broke him of that shit when he was young. He still doesn't let others go near it, though. He's the monster in the closet. (I keep his food and another bed for him in there on the floor.) Also, for these short-necked, broad chested bastards I recommend getting them one of these bowls.

I couldn't find a better picture. I actually use this exact bowl in the background. It holds a shitload of food, too and has two levels.

http://www.cap4pets.org/dog%20photos%205/HE_Charlie_6_03Cr.jpg