Anyone familiar with Wheel repair?

AudiOn19s

I'm looking at this set of wheels as possible track wheels for the 996 but the damage to the one rear looks like it May not be repairable. I suppose it's a good sign that he drove on them like this for a month with no problems.

If anyone has first hand experience with fixing a wheel with damage like this and how it's held up I'd appreciate feedback.

please don't mind the blingy chrome...if I get them they're gonna be spray bombed black anyhow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Porsche-Chrome-Hollow-Spoke-Turbo-Rims-Tires_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66484QQihZ016QQitemZ260072793818QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks repairable with a little weld. It's hard to 'feather edge' chrome for a seamless repair, but if you put enough powder-coat down to fill, it should look okay. If you are going to paint/powder-coat chrome, make sure the wheels have been media blasted, this will aid in adhesion. But I've never had any luck with liquid primers (even acid etch) sticking to chrome, peels off like tape.

Not familiar with wheel repair, but I couldn't trust it on the track after a fix.

The great price isn't worth it.

The track aspect is what really worries me too.

BUT the factory hollow spoke turbo twist wheels retail for nearly $1000 each. Even used ones in crappy condition usually go for around $1500 a set.

If i can get them cheap I might just do it knowing worst case scenerio I'd have to find one extra wheel down the road.

The track aspect is what really worries me too.

BUT the factory hollow spoke turbo twist wheels retail for nearly $1000 each. Even used ones in crappy condition usually go for around $1500 a set.

If i can get them cheap I might just do it knowing worst case scenerio I'd have to find one extra wheel down the road.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I would be worried the whole time about throwing the car in a corner at 90 mph and having a weld come a part, or any weakness for that matter. If it was just street driving, I might not be so concerned. You of all people know you are going to work the hell out of those wheels. I don't want to see you get hurt. The great price could cost so much more later. My .02

Guest powers

if welded properly it should be at least as strong if not stronger than the rest of the wheel.

Your wheels see no where near the abuse an aluminum cly head sees.

blast it

have it welded properly

smoothed out

re-chrome

A repair like this will break down something like this

welding and smoothing 100-150

blasting 40-60

chroming 150ish