Why, why, why!!!

V8 Beast

Why in the hell do we make our cars go fast? We spend entire pay checks and bonuses to gain tenths of a second. We put money on credit cards so that we can boost our ego. Why is it that we spend so much money for the thrill of going faster, and ultimately put our lives in danger. The faster you go the more likely you are to get a ticket or crash. I mean seriously, how many of us actually have roll cages??? The worst part is that most of us have paid a lot of money for a car that we cant even drive in the winter. Not to mention that a lot of us have to deal with getting cussed out by our significant others and parents on a regular basis. I think modding is more of an addiction than a hobby. How many of us have purchased car parts with money that we didnt have? How many of us have spent months (not days or hours) online putting together a master setup that we cant even afford??? How many of us have said "I'm done modding", yet one week later we are online at Summitt with a credit card in hand?? And yes you can overdose if you are not careful. Just look at those cars with 1000+rwhp that can only run 11's because they have no traction. The first step is to admit that there is an addiction

With that being said....

HI MY NAME IS BRIAN, AND I AM A GEARHEAD :cool:

And if you are unsure here are some common signs of gearheads...

- If you have had your hood open for more than a day in a car that runs fine

- If your wife has said you love your car more than you love me.

- If you plan on buying parts more than 6 months in advance.

- If you look at your engine trying to find a spot to fit a turbo

- If you plan on spraying nitrous at all

- If you have a tuner

- If this thread makes any sense to you...

Too many things in your post are what I did not want to do or have issues with. Last year I was fortunate for my build and smart too, I think. I set a budget and sat with people who knew what I wanted . We planned it out 6 months before buying a part. I had commitments from who would be involved with what areas and from there started buying parts as I found good pricing on them. Not everything has to be new. And paying cash is were you save the most. When I bought something new I would just ask if I could pay cash and have no tax. Sometimes they would. On a $3600 order, that saves you $243.00 in tax. It's like getting brake rotors for free. I bought a lot of parts from people who hardly used them. $1150 clutch, counter weight, and flywheel for $450 with shipping. That's a deal. Like I said, I was fortunate. But paying cash never strapped me and if I wreck the car (aside from insurance), at least I'm not still paying on what I don't have. Having someone breathing down my neck about $ would have taken all the fun out of it. Go get your own hobby and then we will both have something to do.

I did come up with this thought that I will use in the future, if the car is financed. If you can not make double the car payment each month, you can't afford to mod the car. By mod the car, I mean past bolt ons.

Too many things in your post are what I did not want to do or have issues with. Last year I was fortunate for my build and smart too, I think. I set a budget and sat with people who knew what I wanted . We planned it out 6 months before buying a part. I had commitments from who would be involved with what areas and from there started buying parts as I found good pricing on them. Not everything has to be new. And paying cash is were you save the most. When I bought something new I would just ask if I could pay cash and have no tax. Sometimes they would. On a $3600 order, that saves you $243.00 in tax. It's like getting brake rotors for free. I bought a lot of parts from people who hardly used them. $1150 clutch, counter weight, and flywheel for $450 with shipping. That's a deal. Like I said, I was fortunate. But paying cash never strapped me and if I wreck the car (aside from insurance), at least I'm not still paying on what I don't have. Having someone breathing down my neck about $ would have taken all the fun out of it. Go get your own hobby and then we will both have something to do.

I did come up with this thought that I will use in the future. If the car is financed. If you can not make double the car payment each month, you can't afford to mod the car. By mod the car, I mean past bolt ons.

Long response and perfectly executed modding = extremely smart gearhead LOL!!

I forgot to mention. If you meet people and they ask if you have any kid's and you say no, but, I have a car. That's my baby. I love the look people give me. Then I try to help them out and say "I do have a cat though". It's like watching them snap out of a trance of confusion. "Oh, a cat, that's great".

Starting a spin off thread to this one. Please reply. This will be pretty funny.

I forgot to mention. If you meet people and they ask if you have any kid's and you say no, but, I have a car. That's my baby. I love the look people give me. Then I try to help them out and say "I do have a cat though". It's like watching them snap out of a trance of confusion. "Oh, a cat, that's great".

Starting a spin off thread to this one. Please reply. This will be pretty funny.

Or repetitive....

How many of us have broke our "baby" and have just sat in it wishing it wasnt broke ...sigh... I'm suffering from withdrawel again, quick someone give me their keys!!!!!!

Every time I am at my shop, I sit in my Plymouth for at leaast 30 minutes, just to take in the aroma of classic steel and aged ruber from burnouts. Fuxing radiator piece of shit rebuild unit leaking coolant into the tranny cooler &*%$ $%# &%#@........

..Then I try to help them out and say "I do have a cat though". It's like watching them snap out of a trance of confusion. "Oh, a cat, that's great".

That's when you say "Oh wait, I gutted it out. It helped free up a few ponies!" and watch their reaction.

I bought a Grand Prix GT as a beater. I avoided a GTP because I knew what would happen. Well if I just put a pulley and exhaust and....

I already have my next 6 mods planned - should only take me 3 years or so to get the money together....or I could sell my wife and kids and do it now. Hmmmmm....decisions decisions.