Good Gun Shops

BloodRed

Hey I will be in the market for a new 9mm hand gun soon and I was wondering where the good new and used gun shops are. Of course I know of the Powder Room, Blackwing, Ohio Outdoors, Buckeye Outdoors, New Albany Shooting Range and Gander Mountain. But I was wondering if anyone else had any other good recommendations here in Central Ohio.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckeye outdoors, and Vance's I believe are owned by the same people. Vance's has always had great prices when I have went there. Seem like good guys as well.

That's what I've heard. They were cool to me when I bought my gun and have been helpful with obtaining gun info for my dad since all his shit was stolen.

Ok, so I am adding Vance to my list of places to stop by this weekend. As for how soon, I found out today that I am getting an unexpected bonus from work on my paycheck this Friday. So I am going to finally get a different 9mm. I have a Hi-Point 9mm, so yeah really anything is better than what I have.

Go to New Albany, and ask for Greg Leach, he's a damn good guy. If you are unsure as to what you want, RENT. Put 50 - 100 rounds through each gun that looks interesting to you before you drop hundreds of dollars on something that you may end up regretting. My recommendation would be to get a Springfield XD, I absolutely love mine. Also try out the Sigs, HK USP, Glocks, CZ, all good guns.

Go to New Albany, and ask for Greg Leach, he's a damn good guy. My recommendation would be to get a Springfield XD, I absolutely love mine.

That is what I want to buy: Springfield Armory XD Ported .40

http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20251-1.jpg

Where and for how much was yours?

I shot my dads OD Green with lazer sight and it is awesome. So easy to shoot accurate.

Vance's hands down. Very knowledgeable, and not pushy at all. Bought my 1st gun there. I have since bought a Glock 9mm (model 26) w/spring laser, and a Beretta .32 auto (sweet little gun). Great store imo. Stay away from Gander Mountain, WAY overpriced on everything gunwise that I've looked at.

That is what I want to buy: Springfield Armory XD Ported .40

http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20251-1.jpg

Where and for how much was yours?

I shot my dads OD Green with lazer sight and it is awesome. So easy to shoot accurate.

I hate polymer guns. i hate the XD even more. i shot it and thought it was crap.

a sig 220 is in my near future

do not get a ported gun it does nothing for you. porting only works on high power rifles by reducing muzzle velocity and only at best it only reduces it by 20% at most.

The XD is an OK gun but too many moving parts when compaired to Glock or the new S&W (M&P i think its called, is glocks design but improved upon) Beretta is also a good gun milltary has used for a long time but is being replaced by Glocks. there is a reason more than 40% of all police depts. use glocks as its a bad ass weapon. even NYPD bought over 42,000 of them after testing all the other guns on the market. i'd recomend shooting all the guns first before you buy, your welcome to my Glock 22 if you'd like. if you know a gun dealer you can try to get a remanufactured gun, departments turn in there old guns and get new ones and there gone threw and warn parts are replaced and tested. my gun is stamped Missouri state park rangers on the slide. i paid $450 and it came with 3 high cap. mags a standerd 10 round mag and night sights.

someone proly told him "plastic" guns are junk.

Um, no. I owned a glock 22 and hated it. i shot over 1000 rounds through it and realized i wish i wouldnt have wasted my money. they're very reliable, but i found accuracy was much better with a steel framed gun.

A kid in my police academy used a glock 22 for qualifying, but when he shot his sig at the end of class, he was able to hit a golf ball at 50' about half the time. (something which none of the cadets in the academy were capable of doing with a glock) and the only reason he didnt use his sig is because he didnt have a holster for it.

with extensive range time, and several guns being shot, it was my opinion they're not as accurate.

I thought the ported type helped to keep the nose down on recoil, his gun barely moved in my hand. I haven't shot a non ported model though, I guess I should.

if it was a 9mm and you arent a pussy, the recoil shouldnt be that noticeable at all.

A kid in my police academy used a glock 22 for qualifying, but when he shot his sig at the end of class, he was able to hit a golf ball at 50' about half the time. (something which none of the cadets in the academy were capable of doing with a glock) and the only reason he didnt use his sig is because he didnt have a holster for it.

they're not as accurate.

its all you then, saying a gun is not accurate because of whats it made of is total BS. golf ball at 50' feet half the time? you were prolly not tought the right way to hold a semi-auto pistol or he isn't holding it tight enough or pulled to hard on the trigger. 1/8" of movement at the fire line is 12" at the 50" foot mark. don't blame the gun for something you can't do.

Everyone in my class were instructed by individuals with roughly 100 years experience, i'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. LOL so the construction of the gun doesnt have anything to do with it's accuracy? that doesnt make any sense to me. I'm glad you're an expert at firearms, and training, care to share where you learned. maybe i can be as good as you someday? give me a break.

you kinda sound like a dick to me, but since we don't know each other, i'll just take it as you dont know how to talk to people. but that's cool too.

Everyone in my class were instructed by individuals with roughly 100 years experience, i'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. LOL so the construction of the gun doesnt have anything to do with it's accuracy? that doesnt make any sense to me. I'm glad you're an expert at firearms, and training, care to share where you learned. maybe i can be as good as you someday? give me a break.

you kinda sound like a dick to me, but since we don't know each other, i'll just take it as you dont know how to talk to people. but that's cool too.

1. i am a dick, you seem like a dick too so would would prolly get along great, my best friends are dickheads too.

2. i'm not much on talking to people.

as for where i learned to shoot? my dad, kinda sounds red neck right? well he is a trainer of trainers in ohio and 9 or 10 other states in semi-auto pistol, shotgun and sub machine gun/carbin as well as police policy and pursuit driving. if what a gun is made of would cause a consistant accuracy issue then it wouldn't be made of that material. i would be willing to bet that he was using a Gen III glock (has finger grips) and gen I and II didn't. my gun is Gen I and my dad has a gen III, he notices a big difference from my gun fitting his hand better without the grips. if it was my gun i would file them off so they were smooth and it would fit better. care to go the the range and try mine and see if you still think there is a problem? i'll pay the range fee.