computer peeps in here please

natedogg624

title says it but ill explain it in detail.

for the past year or so my fan has been getting louder and louder meaning its spinning faster than it should for the applications im running. for instance im just browsing the internet now and it sounds like im running a full on heavy duty PC game. also lately it sounds like the fan is off kilter or not balanced correctly anymore.

blew some compressed air in to the fan openings and that blew out a ton of dust but still didn't fix the problem.

when playing games most of the time is when it will shut down randomly, which blows... and it just started to shut down randomly while watching movies.

obviously i dont want to turn the fan speed down bc i know its protecting the processor etc. and the shut down is a safety measure to prevent it from getting ruined but this is annoying.

tried looking in the bios this morning to find some info stating my temperatures and fan speed but i couldn't find it for some reason. i could have been looking in the wrong place entirely.

its a laptop btw so i really don't want to take it apart to get a new one or fix whatever's wrong unless you say its easier than it looks...

so how do i check my temps and fan speeds? and what is your advice on fixing this (cost and labor in mind)?

even though this laptop is 2 years old now its still got some top of the line stuff in there so id rather keep it than replace it.

running coretemp:

both core's are operating around 60C. but easily fluctuate.

from some research i've done i believe this is about 20C over what normal is...

what about needing reapply some thermal paste to my processor? viable idea or solely the fan dying?

and is the labor something i could do with good instruction or don't bother?

running coretemp:

both core's are operating around 60C. but easily fluctuate.

from some research i've done i believe this is about 20C over what normal is...

what about needing reapply some thermal paste to my processor? viable idea or solely the fan dying?

and is the labor something i could do with good instruction or don't bother?

What brand is it?

60c is way too high, especially at idle. I'm running an 800 mhz overclock (e8500 @ 4009 mhz) and I rarely ever crest 50c on either core under heavy load. Either there is a ton of dust buildup (which is a possibility depending on how much time you spend on the dorms, they're a dust bowl), or the fan bearings are on their last leg.

Google for disasembly pictures/instructions for your laptop to get an idea of how complicated it may or may not be. Reseating a heatsink with fresh paste isn't a difficult proposition, but I rarely venture into laptop land so I can't say for certain. I doubt your paste is going bad though. Easiest fix would be just check what kind of fan you need, buy it off of Newegg or something, and install it yourself. Computers really aren't nearly as scary inside as most people make them out to be. Hell, I feel more comfortable working on the guts of my PC than I do on the guts of my bike.

Quick note though; watch youself with the compressed air. Get too ambitious with it and you could have a much bigger mess on your hands. I had the stock fan on my Radeon x1800xt grenade on me over the summer when I got a bit too enthusiastic with my air compressor (goddamn dorm dust buildup...). It's fine to use it in bursts, but don't just go nuts and spin any fans up too fast for too long.

Edited by Harb67

+1 ^

If it was a desktop I could do it for you in a few minutes, but I don't mess with laptops. Thermal paste is only used as a space filler between the cpu core and the heatsink to transfer as much into the heatsink as possible. (more contact, more transfer). I build PC's all the time, but I'd take it to someone that works on them and its and easy fix. Go with what Satan says unless you are 100% confident you know what you are doing.

yup just sounds like a dying fan :plus1: for satan's idea...

+1 ^

If it was a desktop I could do it for you in a few minutes, but I don't mess with laptops. Thermal paste is only used as a space filler between the cpu core and the heatsink to transfer as much into the heatsink as possible. (more contact, more transfer). I build PC's all the time, but I'd take it to someone that works on them and its and easy fix. Go with what Satan says unless you are 100% confident you know what you are doing.

same here...i have worked on a few laptops before...its just much more hassle than i ever want to deal with.

What brand is it?

Let us know what brand it is, you'd be surprised how easy some of them are to work on. You have to remember that a tech somewhere has to replace warranty items all the time so they are designing them better.

List the brand a model please.

Unless you've serviced laptops before, proceed with caution. Once you've done them for a while, it gets easy, but coming in from the cold...on my primary system..I'd take it to someone who knew what they were doing.

Get the fan replaced ASAP. The additional heat is not doing your internals any good. The compressed space of a laptop makes heat issues come to the forefront REAL quick.

it is an HP Pavilion dv5000.

i remember finding a manual somewhere through HP and it looked pretty complicated... and the part for the fan was expensive too as it wasn't just a fan but one unit that containted the fan and other things as well...

even after letting the computer rest over night completely shut down, turning it on this morning the core temps were around 50C

Edited by natedogg624

Just get the fan replaced. There is a place right by north fairfield rd. and 35 that is really good. They'll redo the thermal paste for and make sure it's running the way it should. Plus they should clean out all the dust build up for else where in the computer too.

Think about it, replace a $45.00 part or replace pretty much the whole system since it'll fry your CPU eventually and possibly your graphics card.

Edited by cattmouch33

Here's a link to the service manual: HP DV5000 Service Manual

They also provide the part numbers for most of the components. It would take a little work but if you can turn a screw driver you could most likely do it yourself.

Update: Ebay has the fan assembly for $10-$45. Pick up some thermal paste for a couple bucks and you're good to go.

Edited by r1crusher

what about a bad temperature sensor?

i mean my computer was off all night and i turn it on and the first reading is already at 50C. doesn't seem right at all.

the fan is somewhat connected to this temp sensor which maybe the reason its running faster than usual.

does this seem like a possibility at all?

I'm guessing that its right. If you blew a large amount of dust out, from experiance I guarantee theres still as much but thicker in it. I pull my heatsink and video card out of my desktop every few months and blow/clean them with a soft brush. You can blow out loose dust, but over time I actually gets thick, immobile and plugs the side which prevents cooling. (like a plugged air filter). Its up to you on what to do, but getting a good clean and fan would be my suggestion. Cleaning and leaving a old fan with bad bearings is just asking for it to stop and cook everything. Fans are cheap!

And temp sensors are typically in the motherboard where the cu drops in, or spaced between the heatsink and cpu. If its the first going bad, then a new motherboard would be in order and your price starts to rise dramaticlly. Otherwise, it would be less expensive.

Edited by SJC600rr

I'm guessing that its right. If you blew a large amount of dust out, from experiance I guarantee theres still as much but thicker in it. I pull my heatsink and video card out of my desktop every few months and blow/clean them with a soft brush. You can blow out loose dust, but over time I actually gets thick, immobile and plugs the side which prevents cooling. (like a plugged air filter). Its up to you on what to do, but getting a good clean and fan would be my suggestion. Cleaning and leaving a old fan with bad bearings is just asking for it to stop and cook everything. Fans are cheap!

And temp sensors are typically in the motherboard where the cu drops in, or spaced between the heatsink and cpu. If its the first going bad, then a new motherboard would be in order and your price starts to rise dramaticlly. Otherwise, it would be less expensive.

thanks for that. unfortunately fans for my laptop are not cheap from OEM...like 80 bucks! but i checked ebay and some are going around 20 so i will have to jump on that. the thing about that is how do i know that its not just going to happen again...

im electing to take it in and get it checked over, reading over the manual with all the little tiny small parts, i would bet my arm i would lose a screw or some important piece. plus this is something i need for school, unlike my bike which if i screw up i can let it sit for a few days while i think it over on what to do.

update: called csc this morning and talked to keith. based on what i told him he thinks it could be the logic board. also said it would be expensive to fix and recommended calling hp to send it in. it would be 90 dollars for the first hour at csc just to see what the problem is.

first what is the logic board?

second: anyone on here know how to determine if its the fan or logic board? (ben?)

third: what would you do...