I need help with the Jimmy.

JaSSon

Ok, the Jimmy is running like garbage. IE, even worse than usual. It stalls almost everytime I come to a stop, and stalls a lot while driving at low speeds. IF I can get to a high speed it starts popping. It almost sounds like it's back firing out of the intake. The problem began very subtly maybe 2 weeks ago with that popping out of the intake on the freeway. Then a couple days ago it started stalling sometimes. Today it nearly left me on the side of the road several times. I have a check engine light, but how do I pull a code off an '87 Jimmy?

Since the problem started I have: Changed oil and filter, changed plug wires, put a fresh tank of gas with Penzoil fuel system cleaner.

I am absolutely sure that the plugwires are installed exactly how they were before, but I have no way of knowing if they were right initially. Does anyone have a diagram showing cylinder number to ditributor plug?

What would cause it to be such a turd?

This is the 2.8 V6, correct?

Use a timing light or a strobe, watch the spray pattern of your injectors, see if one is spraying really weird.

Also, how many miles are on the beast? Perhaps the timing chain jumped a tooth. (not sure if the 2.8s had nylon timing gears like some of the olds V8s).

Vinny, Thanks for that diagram. I double checked all the plug wires and they are correct. I haven't replaced the cap and rotor yet, but they are sitting in the back seat. But would the cap and rotor cause that putting out the throttle body?

Now it won't start at all, even if I spray some Autozone carb cleaner in the throttle bodies. I assume that stuff is flammable.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of motor damage. I really don't care enough about that truck to swap a new motor into it, and besides, I think the 4WD crapped out. But, I was planning on putting my tax return into the stang, not a new beater.

Guest Removed

you dont need a scanner too pull codes...just a paper clip, then the light will blink the codes.

and as far as rough running then it dies, check spark. if none suspect the module and pick-up coil (its in the dizzy).those also had a issue with the wiring coming out of the dizzy, the harness would rubb up against the back of the motor and cut thru the wires going too the dizzy..and if al else fails, lmk, i may be able too come take a look at it.

it's not OBDI, it's OBD0.... honestly, it sounds like a timing issue...

my '89 Blazer 4x4 had a similar issue and it ended up being the fuel pump.... but if I was you, I'd also check, there's an ignition module that connects to the distributer that I've been told goes out alot on these old motors...

the blazer was a 4.3 so I don't know how similar the trucks are.

Guest NinetyFox
Sounds like a fuel pump or a timing/dist. issue. Sometimes a pump will show early signs of failure by stalling out. So if it has stalled a couple of times before you may consider a pump. I also had a bolt break off on the disty cap on my 4.3 s10, a few days and it tore up the cap until it almost wouldnt start.