Anti-Squid Package: This or That? With Pricing

Disclaimer

It's the winter, which means it's about time to do some gear shopping. Since I've never used anything more than a Snell helmet and an unarmored leather jacket for my entire street riding career (all 8 years worth)... I'm new to this stuff, but I've done a ton of research and want some MORE input on the gear. Play a little dis or dat?

I want the full package so whoever I buy it from might negotiate a little bit with me on this larger order. I took all this info in here off of sportbiketrackgear.com - I like them because they have YouTube reviews of products, they race what they sell, and they're local (Michigan) if I ever need to make a face-to-face visit.

Basically I do mostly street riding, but I'd like to get the SV out for some trackdays next year - so I'd like something protective on the street and track. All color schemes will be black, black/silver, or black/white.

Suit - 1 pc or 2 piece? I've narrowed it down to

A*Stars Octane Suit (1 pc or 2 pc) MSRP $689

Gericke Celtic (1 pc) MSRP $600

Boots

Sidi Vertigo Air Boots MSRP $300

Puma 1000 MSRP $394 (on sale for $325)

Gloves - All gauntlet style

Held Thrux MSRP $149

Held Sprint MSRP $199

A*Stars GP Plus MSRP $159

Spidi Carbo Six Sport MSRP $169

Spidi Race Vent Sport MSRP $149

Spidi Penta MSRP $209

Helmet

Something cheap as long as it's Snell M2005 certified and DOT certified - probably around $150 unless someone can give me a reason why I should get something more expensive. I can get a closeout Scorpion Exo for $119.

Place your votes now, or recommend something with similar features and price.

We could even turn this thread into a "dealfinder" thread if people find similar gear for even better prices. Thanks! :cheers:

Edited by JRMMiii

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suit - 1 pc FTW. to me 2 piece's just look silly. why bother if you've already got a jacket for every day use you don't need the jacket from the 2 pc. 1 pc wins here.

boots:

both are really good boots and i like the tech on the new pumas. thats totally up to you, not too many pumas around if you like to be unique.

gloves:

im getting the astar gp plus gloves tomorrow ill let you know how i like them. but i've researched/tried on gloves (and boots) for about 2.5 months now and for my street with track riding style the gp plus' were the way to go. i liked the pro but they seemed to track/race oriented.

helmet:

shark. good cool looking helmets for a good price (sportbiketrackgear.com) they are also ECE 22-05 certified which most (as well as me) will argue is well above and beyond any DOT/SNELL rating. (those europeans have high standards)

quick question: why are you spending boat loads of money on suit/gloves/boots but not so much on your head, which some could say is the most important part of your body. not sayiing scorpions are bad at all, i like their helmets but spend a little (~$50) more and get something of better quality and a much better testing standard.

Edited by natedogg624

post 2: looks like some saw the same thing i did... buying a good helmet will go a looong way.

second-- parts411.com is selling the gp plus gloves for 136.xx. So what i did was price match to STG.com and they honored it and gave me free shipping.

a lot of parts411.com is selling the gear cheap. check there and bring those prices back to STG.com and get the products cheaper and faster.

warning: you will NOT like the way parts411.com site is set up at all. you will get frustrated and angry.

hint: when you find your part at parts411.com it gives you an item number 12312352 - 12341 - 234.

the number between the dashes is their secret discount "code" eg in this case it would be 12341 you'd put in the discount code box at checkout to get your new price. this is the price you take back to stg obviously. also you would need to do each order individually to get the discount pricing on all of them in order to get the individual price on all your items. pain in the butt especially with as many products your looking up. but its worth it if it saves you money.

(STG.com - sportbiketrackgear.com just in case you didn't get that)

edit: i would wait on your suit order. check ebay every week or so this winter to catch those dealers getting prepped for the new riding season coming in and getting rid of last years inventory. i got my 600 dollar suit for 200 dollars from freebay. brand new.

edit2: i sounded smart with these last two posts :p:cool:

Edited by natedogg624

quick question: why are you spending boat loads of money on suit/gloves/boots but not so much on your head, which some could say is the most important part of your body. not sayiing scorpions are bad at all, i like their helmets but spend a little (~$50) more and get something of better quality and a much better testing standard.

I thought as long as they were Snell, that was the best protection you could get. Didn't realize there was an ECE reg too. I know of some of the ECE regs because I work in the trucking industry and we have to certify to them, but didn't know they had helmet standards too. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Sharks.

And thanks in advance for your review on the gloves. And the parts411.com info -- I'm always down for saving a little $$$ - even if it takes a little time.

Edited by JRMMiii

I've currently got the Scorp EXO 400 Octane Justin. Seemed to have all the features of the $$$ helmets, for 1/3 price. I like mine alot....But then again, I've never bought/worn Arai or Shoei

BTW.....Have you checked out NewEnough.com? They get some sweet deals on closeout gear, and I can personally attest their customer service is OUTSTANDING! Plus....They let you donate $1 of your purchase to board of your choice. Not sure if O.R. is on there or not

Edited by Fonzie

That's the closeout helmet they have... 400 series. I've never had a 'high dollar' helmet either because I'm too budget conscious. I'm currently tooling around with a KBC TK-7 I got --- 8 years ago. All the vents are busted out and it's gotta nice coating of bug grime - I think it's time for a new one of those.

Though someone could twist my arm into a carbon fiber helmet if they think it's really worth it. I like those a lot.

The octane suit is awesome for the price, SO comfy and pretty nice quality, and actually holds up pretty well in wrecks. I loved mine. A* GP gloves ftw. Sidi Air boots ftw. Helmets? shoei, arai, suomy, shark, agv, all are great.

Just make sure you look around AND call around for prices. Give cyclesector (talk to Diego) and superbikesupply (talk to Brad) a call. Tell em a buddy from 600rr.net/ohioriders referred you, they will likely hook you up very well!! i saved hundreds buying gear and parts from them.

edit: i dont think those CF helmets are any lighter than the arai helmets these days..double check but im pretty sure.

Aaron

i just bought an a star rc-1 suit and it is awesome great fit and great protection so astars gets my vote there

i got the astars gp pro glove the sizing is off a little i usually wear a med. but in that glove im in xlarge but its the most comfortable glove ive had on and great protection so astar gloves get my vote again

i aslo wear sidi vertigo corsa boots very comfortable and good protection and they are light ive worn them all day with no problems

i have an arai rx-7 corsair again its very comfortable and light but i also have and xpeed and it is just as nice so i say just dont buy a cheap one is all. the carbonfiber are really light but ive only had them on in the stores

As recommended by Nate... I just read up on the DOT / ECE / Snell regs on this page:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

It's a LONG read, but very interesting. Basically a slam of Snell test methods, Snell's rebuttal, and motorcyclists response. It seems the latest and greatest study was the European COST 327 study, which ended in Nov 1999.

I only like the two piece from the perspective that on the hot summer days when I'm at Norwalk drag racing, I can remove the jacket so I don't fill it with sweat.

And I think the 2pc would allow me to get a bigger jacket or pant if I got fat(ter), instead of replacing the whole suit.

I only like the two piece from the perspective that on the hot summer days when I'm at Norwalk drag racing, I can remove the jacket so I don't fill it with sweat.

And I think the 2pc would allow me to get a bigger jacket or pant if I got fat(ter), instead of replacing the whole suit.

sorta my point i guess

get the sidi boots, spend a bit more and get gp pro gloves, buy a 1 pc, and for a helmet i personally say shoei but if you don't want to spend that money buy a scorpion.

i agree with that all except for the suit, i have heard good things about scorpion helmets.

i would buy a two piece because you don't have a good riding jacket, and they don't look ridiculous in the summer you can also take off the jacket when you take a break. I would also go try a two piece on and a one piece and see which one is more comfortable. i think for me the one piece was a better fit but for you it might be different. good luck and let us know what you get.

means he got a 1pc... lol

as for the sweat build up- you can unzip and get out of the upper portion and let it just dangle its not too much of an annoyance. this is how i was for in between sessions at mid oh and was just fine.

it also will tell you if you are getting fat, if you don't fit into it anymore well its time to go to the gym haha.

I have:

Suit: 2piece A* MX-1 Jacket w/track pants

Gloves: A* GP Plus Gloves

Noggin: Arai Quantum 2

Footses: Sidi B2

All crash tested and highly recommended. :D I'm going with a A* 1-piece (prolly Octane) for the spring though. Also replacing my helmet with either another Arai or Shoei. I'd also recommend Cyclesector and Superbikesupply. I also like Indysuperbikes mostly because they hooked me up out at Putnam and were all around great guys. I have also ordered from them before and had great service and stuff gets here quick since they are close.

Suit - 1 pc or 2 piece? I've narrowed it down to

A*Stars Octane Suit (1 pc or 2 pc) MSRP $689

Gericke Celtic (1 pc) MSRP $600

Boots

Sidi Vertigo Air Boots MSRP $300

Puma 1000 MSRP $394 (on sale for $325)

Gloves - All gauntlet style

Held Thrux MSRP $149

Held Sprint MSRP $199

A*Stars GP Plus MSRP $159

Spidi Carbo Six Sport MSRP $169

Spidi Race Vent Sport MSRP $149

Spidi Penta MSRP $209

Helmet

Something cheap as long as it's Snell M2005 certified and DOT certified - probably around $150 unless someone can give me a reason why I should get something more expensive. I can get a closeout Scorpion Exo for $119.

Place your votes now, or recommend something with similar features and price.

We could even turn this thread into a "dealfinder" thread if people find similar gear for even better prices. Thanks! :cheers:

1pc suit for sure.

Either boots are fine. Dont forget about the TCX boots either. (I have the TCX)

I would go with GP pro gloves. (I have them.)

Helmet, I would get at least a SHOEI RF1000. ( I have an RF1000 and a X11, Both are great, X11 fits better, feels lighter but is more $$ also)