Anti-Squid Package: This or That? With Pricing

Disclaimer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking people what is best in terms of gear - especially lids is like asking what is the best oil. Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers.

1pc suits are more favored for track only riding, but if you want the best bag for the buck and want to use the jacket for street, buy a 2pc. If you have a good street jacket, do yourself a favor and get the 1pc.

Everything else is a good choice. Try them on and see what fits you best. It can be down to what feels best at the level of gear you are shopping.

Helmets are personal choice. Guys who like shoei say shoei. Those who like arai say arai. I wear Suomy and have been since 99. I love them. However, don't fall for the bs about $5 for a $5 head. I works in the sports marketi g side with Suomy for a good number of years an learned a LOT about lids. Arai is a hand laid shell. It has thin spots as vacuum based shells are more cinsistant and offer better protection overall. Doesn't mean arai sucks - just means every helmet can be picked apart.

Scorpion is a good helmet. They really are. I'd look at the top two models as the 400 is cheaply put together. But, they are worth looking at.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Lots of good info on helmets here, more money does not mean more protection.

OK your too fast and I had my post window open too long working lol

That's a good article and it shows that you don't need to spend $500-600 on a helmet. When you get into the expensive helmets you are paying more for graphics, ventilation, and weight...not safety. I would do some serious research on helmets instead of just going out and buying one. Helmets really are the most important piece of safety gear. I would narrow it down to a few that are in your price range and then go try them on. IF you are patient spend the winter searching eBay/internet and you will probably find a good deal.

I had a Shoei TZR which is Shoei's entry level helmet ($250-300) and I really liked it accept for the fact it didn't have a removable liner. It has a heavier, fiberglass shell which makes it a very quiet helmet. Ventilation is OK.

I found a good deal on a couple Shark RSR2 helmets on eBay after searching for months. They aren't very popular so you can usually find some decent deals on them. I really like the Shark but its considerably louder than my old Shoei. It has good ventilation, a removable liner, F1 spec shield, and nice graphics.

Crappy pictures but you get the idea: http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=16563

Seriously though- The difference between my $500 Shoei and my $120 HJC is night and day- especially with the sound (outside noise level) of everyday riding.

AMEN!

If you wear a helmet a lot, you will notice the difference immediately. It's money well spent.

The Scorpion 1000's have a built in sun visor I believe. That alone is almost worth the price of admission. Only bad thing is, the color selection is lacking.

The problem is that while the helmet is actually quite good, the eye portal is a bit deeper than most lids to accomodate the internal visor. Thus, it kinda messes with your visual as opposed to a regular helmet.

I like the 1000 a lot and the shell shape is pretty good. It's just that stupid visor. If they could make a series w/o the visor, they'd be on to something.

The 600 is very good considering, though.

The problem is that while the helmet is actually quite good, the eye portal is a bit deeper than most lids to accomodate the internal visor. Thus, it kinda messes with your visual as opposed to a regular helmet.

I like the 1000 a lot and the shell shape is pretty good. It's just that stupid visor. If they could make a series w/o the visor, they'd be on to something.

The 600 is very good considering, though.

The 700 you mean? If so, yeah I agree. I've never used a 1000...but if what you say is true, I'm guessing that would be annoying. My Akuma lid messes with my peripheral. I'm used to it by now..but still annoying.

Someone above mentioned that all the extra $$ buys you, in the expensive helmets, are creature comforts and not safety. Very true, but if you can find a relatively safe helmet in that range that excels in the areas that are most important to you (for me, it's wind noise, weight and airflow) that extra money is well spent. Maybe not so much if you are only an occasional rider..but if you ride every chance you get and then some, it's a no brainer.

I'm not saying cheap helmets don't have those creature comforts either.

The 700 you mean? If so, yeah I agree. I've never used a 1000...but if what you say is true, I'm guessing that would be annoying. My Akuma lid messes with my peripheral. I'm used to it by now..but still annoying.

Someone above mentioned that all the extra $$ buys you, in the expensive helmets, are creature comforts and not safety. Very true, but if you can find a relatively safe helmet in that range that excels in the areas that are most important to you (for me, it's wind noise, weight and airflow) that extra money is well spent. Maybe not so much if you are only an occasional rider..but if you ride every chance you get and then some, it's a no brainer.

I'm not saying cheap helmets don't have those creature comforts either.

Yes, EXO-700. Sorry, hit the wrong key...

I also wouldn't say that the shells on an Arai, Shoei, Suomy are the same protection as the shell of a thermo plastic based shell even though they are both SNELL approved. The shells on the higher end helmets are typically composite or fiberglass and are designed in a manner that takes the energy of the impact and spreads it out evenly. A cheaper helmet may even have the same composites, but even with bag molding, they can be poorly designed and not distribute energy as efficiently or effectively.

If that were the case, you could take a Vega helmet and put Arai ear and crown pads in it and it would be dead on the same.

Not so...

I thought as long as they were Snell, that was the best protection you could get. Didn't realize there was an ECE reg too. I know of some of the ECE regs because I work in the trucking industry and we have to certify to them, but didn't know they had helmet standards too. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Sharks.

And thanks in advance for your review on the gloves. And the parts411.com info -- I'm always down for saving a little $$$ - even if it takes a little time.

snell standards, and ece standards as well, arent good enough! When i bought my arai, i could feel a major difference, in all areas, it feels sturdier than my old HJC, fits way better, more padding, and lighter.

my hjc still saved me however...twice....in one day

i have the gericke suit, and I love it, its a freaking tank! better armor, better fit (for me at least) than any other suit ive tried on. And everyne i know who has one, says the same thing. Some dude wrecked in it 8 times, and 30 times on a 50cc track, and there are no rips!

sidi vertigos are great, i highsided at 75-80 off a hill, and lowsided at 40 and slid on the street.....and then off a hill, and my feet were fine, even after going head over heals like 6 times. All those gloves rock too!

i have the gericke suit, and I love it, its a freaking tank! better armor, better fit (for me at least) than any other suit ive tried on. And everyne i know who has one, says the same thing. Some dude wrecked in it 8 times, and 30 times on a 50cc track, and there are no rips!

I think that is going to be my next suit...I've heard a lot of good things about them and the price is right. How does the sizing run on them? My A* was US38 and fit me perfect but I think I need a little bit larger in the chest to fit a back/chest protector...

Ya' know.......I got to thinkin' about this a bit more Justin...And what the hell you need new gear for anyways......To move the bike to the other side of the gayrage, or to clean the dust bunnies outta your radiator?!? roflmao.gif

I'm thinkin' a pleather pantsuit from WalMart & an Elmo bicycle helmet oughta do 'ya just fine!!! lol.gif

:lol::p

Just because I never move the 'busa... I rag the snot out of the SV.

I'll be able to use ithe gear to go out to Norwalk with, but mostly since I went on the ride with InyaAzz and the group down Rt. 60 -- that was what convinced me that I should probably get some gear. There was a few moments of...trepidation...where I thought, "If I went down here, in my steel toed boots, khakis, no gloves, unarmored leather, and my helmet -- what would I lose?" Then started counting body parts. I'd probably live, but I'd lose enough to never allow me to ride again

And I don't want that.

gp plus gloves - everything that brian from STG said exactly. EXCELLENT ventilation!! wow i didn't expect it could actually be that good but it was. comfort is amazing and safety features all around. of course this isn't your glove for winter riding but it was good enough for street riding and i have no doubt it will be excellent for the track as well.

Sent an e-mail over to STG last night and got a reply this morning. Of course I wrote a book about what I wanted and I think they did a good job addressing my concerns on fitment, track/street gear, etc. Here's what they recommended for my application.

Celtic 1 piece suit (Size 46)

Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots

Spidi Race vent gloves (recommended because they were on closeout, said they'd be slightly more comfortable then the A* GP Pros)

Shark helmet (unless you have to have Snell) then Scorpion, or an Arai.

The bold and italicized are my comments. Any additional thoughts from the experienced peanut gallery?

Finally bit the bullet - called up Nick from STG.com and he hooked me up with:

1 pc A* Octane Suit Black Size 46 US

Black A* SMX Plus Boots Size 45 (10.5 US)

Spidi Race Vent Gloves (Large)

Shark RSI Titan (Blk/White) - Large

I got a great deal after scouring the internet, and Nick meet or beat all other prices I could find (props to natedogg for parts411.com - had the lowest prices on a lot of gear). Nick also was very open and informative regarding questions / comparisons on gear and bodywork as well as reaffirming some of the things I had already read (good acid test to see how people know their stuff).

Sportbiketrackgear.com comes highly recommended, but many of you already knew that. All my stuff should arrive Friday / Saturday - Nick offered to ship everything but the suit (wasn't in stock, would take 2 days) so I'd have it tomorrow, but I told him whatever was convenient for them, so they're shipping everything on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my suit, gloves, and boots today. Still waiting on the Shark helmet.

How "tight" is the suit supposed to fit? It feels really nice in the upper torso/shoulder area, but really tight in the crotch/quad/hamstring area, I'm worried about ripping the seams. Normal break in period issue, or abnormal?

The boots and the gloves fit nice, no issues there - as far as I can tell, I'm new to this whole "gear" thing.

it will be the most uncomfortable thing for the first few times. it took about a good 3 hard days of riding before it was really comfortable.

remember it is a second skin. as for the crotch thing that should break in, is there no stretch material down there? obviously you shouldn't rip a seam and if you do maybe take it to get it tailored a bit. i know i have a stitch or two busted in my groin area but its not a road bearing stitch so im not tooo worried about it although i am fixing it this off season.

did you get any protection at all (ie back/chest protector)? i know the little half back thing in my suit was crap and then i bought a full length protector and i like that a lot better and am currently in the market for a chest protector.