V-Twin vs 4 Stroke  

31 members have voted

1. 1. V-Twin vs 4 Stroke

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like stated, V-Twins are 4 strokes...

However, it isn't as simple as saying they are the same power just at different parts of the rev range.

Typically, V-Twins are down on power to In-line 4s. Example - GSXR1000 has 165 hp at the ground. A 999 Ducati had 140 at the ground (You cannot compare the 1098 to the GSXRor similar 1000). Closer to 130 from most people who dyno'd them.

What that means is that a GSXR750 is a more suitable comparison to a 999 cc Twin than an in-line 1000...

In-lines are rather good - expecially at the larger displacements. Ducati needs to do 848cc to be similar to a typical in-line 600. Now, the smaller the cc in-line, the more you need to have it on tilt in terms of the revs. An R6 and ZX6R are great examples. I have not ridden an 07/08 CBR so, I can only assume it is similar. But, you need them way high in the revs to be in the power and to effectively go fast.

It is the reason why a lot of rider do like the bigger bikes - you can be lazy to an extent and get away with it. A good rider on a 600 can be faster than a sub par rider on a 1000, though.

Don't be fooled by the power being sooner on a twin, either. The rev limiter on current crop twins are much lower and they rev faster. The RC8 and 1098S are similar in this regard. They make great power at 5k (anyone who rides at below 5k isn't riding hard) but tap out at 12-12500. They do this rather quickly and you are always finding yourself at the limiter quickly. While the 1000 GSXR will make good power and you'll gain maybe another 1k-2k rpm or more. It doesn't build as fast nor stay on through the range as much as the twin...

In the end, it is all down to preference. The issue is that any twin that is comprable to the power of the like in-line is going to cost you a lot more money. Typically, it is $4k or more to gain the same performance. You can buy a $10k 600 or a $14k Ducati 848 and get the same performance. That $4k into the 600 in-line can be used to make that 600 a serious weapon or simply allow you to save $4k to put towards whatever you'd like and still not get left behind...

The 1098 standard is $14k. It is very simlar in terms of power to that of the GSXR1000 used in my example. However, the GSXR is about $3k less and honestly is a better platform. You really need to buy an "S" model to equal what you get in a CBR, R1, GSXR, or ZX in their 1000s... That will lighten your wallet another $4k. $8k more and you are really equal to an extent.

You usually get tricker suspension and components (Brembo, etc.), but again, you could take that $8k and dump it into the GSXR and you'd have better overall performance. It would be hair on fire type stuff and not for the timid, but riding a 1098S hard isn't easy, either.

However, I can get a 1098S or an RC8 down to similar times. My new 1000 is easier to get to that point. I was running close to average times on my 1000 and after only riding it twice...

Eh, I'd be hard pressed to say that an inline 4 is like a 2 stroke, and there are lots of different V-twins.

Assuming your talking about a real V-Twin (liquid cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, 10k+ redline) it all depends on what your comparing, Hell I can start my 'Bus off on a moderate incline just by slipping the clutch, it's got plenty of TQ at 2500rpms and I usually cruise around town around 2000 RPMS with no problems.

Lets take a 1000cc Twin, and a 1000cc I4, the twin will have 2 x 500cc cylinders, while the I4 will have 4x250cc cylinders, and the twin usually has a longer stroke, longer stroke = more TQ at a lower given RPMs, it also means more rotating mass, therefore harder to spin fast due to the extra stress on components.

There really isn't any advantage of one over the other, you just have to keep the R's on the I4 a little higher to produce the same TQ as the long stroke twin of the same displacement.

I humbly disagree with that statement. There are different roads/tracks where a twin may fair better than an inline and vice-versa.

Well I'm going on theory here, I've never ridden a REAL V-twin, nor have I raced/trackday'd either. So 'in theory' the I4 should do the same job, but with a required higher rpms to create the same tq that the V would at lower rpms.

So, in conclusion, I may have to humbly agree with you, since I'm totally going on theory here, not practice :D

I humbly disagree with that statement. There are different roads/tracks where a twin may fair better than an inline and vice-versa.

Negative. Godd rider on an in-line or a V-twin could pull similar times and show there is no real advantage. Set-up can make either bike more user friendly than it would be w/o proper set-up...

Well I'm going on theory here, I've never ridden a REAL V-twin, nor have I raced/trackday'd either. So 'in theory' the I4 should do the same job, but with a required higher rpms to create the same tq that the V would at lower rpms.

So, in conclusion, I may have to humbly agree with you, since I'm totally going on theory here, not practice :D

You're actually more correct. I have had the pleasure of riding some serious V-Twins and in-line fours that would be considered in the same class. The V-Twins feel lighter in terms of the bigger the cc, the heavier an in-line can feel. However, my 1000 feels very similar to my 2005 750 and that's saying a lot about set-up. Street to street, a 1000 feels heavier...

I would say that the bottom line is that if twins were dominate due to track or street conditions and vice versa, it is more on the rider than the bike...

Aprilia's are great, mine was pretty much bulletproof. DO NOT BUY FROM HINDS. Try Aprilia of Wooster...

I got the inside track on whos taking the Aprilias away from Hinds and getting the brand. But im not supposed to talk about that. You know like fight club.:D

:boxing: screw ur v twins and inline 4's... get a triple and have the best of both worlds :D plus beautiful styling! and a sexy exhaust tone!

You obviously havent heard my lil' beast.

It sounds so good it'll my your junk twitch.:D