R1_MP

V-Twin vs 4 Stroke  

31 members have voted

1. 1. V-Twin vs 4 Stroke

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that in the North East Ohio area. It probably holds true most of the time but here in Akron all the squids are nut swinging.

NE Ohio doesn't dictate how or what OEMs sell... Your perception is an opinion. Demographics are certainly different in different areas, but generalizing just because you see a lot in your area isn't fair.

I started on 600 inline then went to a 1000 twin, back to inline 4, and ridden dad's TL-S a lot.

I know the motors pull well off corners down low (really noticeable on the track when I rode the TL-S back and forth same day with my 03 600), but motors are so smooth they feel slow.. The 97 TL-S had character like a 4 cyl but with same low end torque.

Actually the vibration from a V-Twin hurts me more. I can handle the Buzz associated with inline 4s but the hard Pulse from V-Twins sends my hands numb after 30 minutes.

I have ridden any of the new Itallian twins that have lost the weight associated with the twins of the late 90s and early 2000s

That's why I said your theory probably holds merit everywhere else. In Akron the Starboyz do make a huge impression on what sells and what doesn't.

And as far as your statement about a good rider being able to put comparable lap times on either a twin or an inline I would like to use Troy Bayliss as an example. He's very fast on a Ducati but not so much on a Yamaha. I would list him as at least competent on a motorcycle.

I'd say Corser was as fast on an in-line as he was on a twin. How can you say he NEVER was faster on an in-line but faster on a twin? Pulling shit out of one's ass is trying to move the topic to suit your perspective. Maybe he didn't win as much on the Yamie, but you also need to make sure all things were similar.

How about Biaggi? He's another good example. Can ride anything fast. How about Rossi and riding MotoGP bikes vs. World Endurance bikes?

How about reverse analogy in your perspective. Haga sucks at twins because his ride with Ducati was terrible but he goes like stink on an in-line. He must be an in-line guy. Wait... Where did he finish compared to Corser?

Get it now? Good riders will go well on whatever bike they are on. Unless the bike is a pile and they try something new like Biaggi and the Aprilia. If the Aprilia mechanically fails more often than not, it has nothing to do with the bike...

It's rider, man. Rider.

In Akron the Starboyz do make a huge impression on what sells and what doesn't.

Again, they might make an impression, but there are no V-Twin sportbikes out there. Ducati is it and now with the RC8, but really, nothing. State 8 was actually one of the top Aprilia dealers and seeing that the guys from Star Boyz actually worked many stints at the shop, I'd say that the Aprilia sold due to salesman and the need of that particularly small demographic looking for a bike of that stature.

Usually, any sportbike Twin that is even close is hitting that $13K plus range. I'd say price, dependability and overall performance hinders a bike like that than anything.

If Ducati had the 1198 coming at $11K and was shown to be as maintenance friendly as any in-line Japanese bike, I'd say they would sell more...

• 2 weeks later...
I think papa mixed his Troy's up.

By the way, Corser won championships on twins and inline 4's.

Corser's win came the year Fogarty got hurt didn't it? And again on the Suzuki I think.

What was the first year the 1000cc ran agains the 1000cc twins?

2003 I think.. Have to run and check teams and results. But yeah Corser was top 5 pretty much with either bike. I wonder how well he will be able to develop the BMW...