Selling cars rant

nurkvinny

Short versions of 2 car "buying" experiences I have had within 10 days.

Two weeks ago, there was a 97 Accord on Craigslist for $1500 with a dented hood. Called the owner immediately, offered to PayPal him a deposit and/or the entire amount right then, sight unseen. He said, "No, that's cool, no need, it's your's". We set up a time the next day to do the deal. Call him at lunchtime the next day, and he says, "the guy is here test driving it now."

"Huh, wtf are you talking about? I offered to pay you YESTERDAY."

"Haha, sorry man. Call me back after lunch to see if I still have it." Needless to say, that fucker (Dave) never got called back.

Today, there was a 95 S10 Blazer 4-door 4x4 with 100k miles listed on Craigslist. I was the first one to e-mail him. He calls me back and says, "Vince, you were first to respond, do you want it?"

"Yes. As long as it is as you described it in the ad."

"Well, mostly. It has high miles."

"You said 100k in the ad."

"It has 200k miles."

"So, I can assume if you're saying 200k, it actually has over 200k?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, no thanks chief. Fucker."

Does ANYONE buy and sell cars honestly anymore? Fuck these people.

Dude there is a lot of scamming going on at craigslist, I would in no way offer cash until the title is about to change hands.

One guy is pulling this scam he says he is leaving for iraq in a week and must sell the car. He gets a $200-300 deposit to hold because he says he needs the car til the end of the week when he ships out to say good bye to family and friends. He never shows at the end of the week. He's gotten about 4 or 5 people that way.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/282557879.html

Here it is. There are at LEAST a half dozen things in this new ad that are different than he told me on the phone tonight. He said the tires were 2-6 months old. He said the battery was a couple days old. Said everything works fine; ad says a/c needs work. Exhaust was "brand new" on the phone.

This guy is a joke.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/282557879.html

Here it is. There are at LEAST a half dozen things in this new ad that are different than he told me on the phone tonight. He said the tires were 2-6 months old. He said the battery was a couple days old. Said everything works fine; ad says a/c needs work. Exhaust was "brand new" on the phone.

This guy is a joke.

ha its been flaged

Maybe it's just me, but I would never give up a deposit for anything. I'd have my ass over there, make a decision and do the deal or pass on it.

I sell a lot on CL and won't take deposits. I'll gladly hold and item and am true to my word. I feel if I take a deposit or payment and don't provide the item right then and there, it's just setting the buyer up for a potential scam like what you described. I simply get a list of back-up buyers from the subsequent responses. In turn I've had my fair share of no-shows, but the comes with the territory I suppose. The items have always sold to the next in line or perhaps 2nd or 3rd in line.

That's a load of crap about the Honda guy......some people don't value credibility I guess.

One guy is pulling this scam he says he is leaving for iraq in a week and must sell the car. He gets a $200-300 deposit to hold because he says he needs the car til the end of the week when he ships out to say good bye to family and friends. He never shows at the end of the week. He's gotten about 4 or 5 people that way.

I've had the worst selling experience trying to sell my Navigator. I've literally had it for sale on Craigslist, Autotrader, and this site for almost 6 months. I've had two people want to buy it, but they both backed out. I've had calls and e-mails, but no one ever follows through. :mad: Drives me nuts. Then today, I get three calls on it and supposedly this guy is coming down from Toledo tomorrow while his kids are in school to buy it. He sounds legit, but we'll see... :rolleyes:

I've had the worst selling experience trying to sell my Navigator. I've literally had it for sale on Craigslist, Autotrader, and this site for almost 6 months. I've had two people want to buy it, but they both backed out. I've had calls and e-mails, but no one ever follows through. :mad: Drives me nuts. Then today, I get three calls on it and supposedly this guy is coming down from Toledo tomorrow while his kids are in school to buy it. He sounds legit, but we'll see... :rolleyes:

If I had the money I would buy it. Damn good price.

If I had the money I would buy it. Damn good price.

Thanks. I started out kinda high and I knew that. But I've dropped it like three times. The price I have it at now is it, I won't go any less. And I told that guy that as well. So hopefully tomorrow, it goes... :)

After shopping around and getting the BS from dealerships and wading through the scams on craigslist or autotrader, you wonder how anyone buys cars these days.

Buying or selling a car sucks. If you are selling everyone expects to get it at 50% of your asking price, If you are buying expect to spend a whole afternoon at each dealership, getting the run around. I would almost pay a consultant to do this for me.

I recently ran into a scam on Autotrader. There was a very nice CRX listed for sale in N. Carolina for $2100.00 including delivery. The person sent a sob story about how she was in an accident and her husband and son were killed and she became deaf. She wants you to wire her the money then fax back the confirmation. It even went so far as to look like a finalized transaction from e-bay motors, but the dates and links were phony. FYI- beware of people requesting wired money.

Guest 78novaman
If it's the car you want, pay the $200-$300 in ticket/cabbie fare/gas to fly there and drive the car back. This works especially well because the scammers will be found out -obviously they don't want your ass to show up so they come up with some lame ass excuse why you can't pick it up or see it :asshole: