Chemistry / physics question

magifesq

This is for those geniuses out there -

I've looked up the chemical equations on kerosene, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, starter fluid, and other flammable solvents and liquids, sugar, carbohydrates and so on. I'm finding a common theme - mainly carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and trace elements of other elements.

It would seem to me that water could be turned into a fuel source if somehow some carbon could be introduced and bonded to it to make it combustible before entering the intake.

I've been toying with hydrogen generators on my car and truck with modest results, and considering going other directions - we all know about CO and CO2 emissions in the exhaust, is there a way to run the exhaust through some water and have some of that carbon bond to the oxygen to create a flammable fuel?

Maybe add some glue to the mix, thats pretty sticky stuff, or some jell-o, that seems to bond everything to the water it's in..... not sure how good it would be a engine running temps though..... be right back, let me go check........ :microwave:

Formaldehyde - that's flammable too, I'm seeing a pattern here.

Zorro, thanks for the tip. I wonder if exhaust heat that's just vented to the atmosphere may be recovered and help in the process?

since more than 60% percent of the energy from the combustion process is lost in the form of heat I think that would be a good place to start. Maybe some sort of exhaust gas powered air pump. You could call it a turbocharger, shit they already have that. Maybe you could use the wasted heat to create steam and turn a small steam engine connected to the engine via a belt on the pulley, of course bmw owns alot of the patents for those devices. How about a six stroke engine like crower (the world famous camshaft maker) created and sold the patent. Maybe a solid state alternator could be used to help relieve parasitic losses from the engine, damn I think toyota is sitting on that patent.

Well it seems like all of the really good ideas have been bought by major companies and put on the shelf.

What they all said, a catalyst and energy is needed. Probably a net loss when done. On the other hand, water burns when added to combustion. Water injection was used on piston driven aircraft in world war 2. It was hard on the engines, and the engines had to be torn down and re-built if the injection was used twice. Emergency use only.

Swing'r I've been working on hydrogen generators working on electrolysis and pulsed electricity and so far gotten modest results at best.

I'm currently building a GEET generator -

. I'd use hydrogen & oxygen as the priming fuel and if it does what it claims it would continue with a self sustaining reaction after the primer is burned up.

I was looking up info on the V-twin vs Inline 4 thread. Trying to sort out benefits and efficiency of each type of engine design. And I found this: the Gun Engine. No clue if it's worthy, real, or is the future for us all. Claims are 90% less fuel used, no pollution from some fuels, and just might run on water or a combination of fuel and water. This article doesn't get into details, but some of the other links give a clue. It uses extra pistons, in long cylinders, to use up all the power of combustion. Up to 4 more times, resulting in a sort of 12 stroke engine. Basic claim is torque beyond belief, so much so that a transmission isn't even needed. The first test engine built, broke from the excessively high torque.

http://pesn.com/2006/05/02/9500266_Gun_Engine/

If you switch your engine to run off of water +carbon, wouldn't that greatly reduce the carbon content of the exhaust vs. exhaust from conventional fueled vehicle?

So, would the remaining carbon of this new fuel be enough to cause combustion?