Scca Solo II 101

craig71188

Since it seem slike a lot of folks are thinking about trying out an SCCA event this year, here's a few sources of information and things to do before you come to an event so you can enjoy yourself instead of scrambling around:

1) Figure out your car's class and what modifications you are allowed. The Solo II rulebook is available as a PDF file here:

http://www.scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=04D4F6-DEBDD90&x=050|070&~=

2) Get some numbers and class letters for your car that can be read from a distance - vinyl graphics or magnetic are nice, but some contact paper in a contrasting color or wide masking tape can work just fine for the budget minded - or to just try it out.

3) Register for the event online in advance and know what the schedule is. Pre registration is available here:

http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx?

Create an account and sign in and then you're all set.

4) Be sure your car will pass tech BEFORE you go to the event. Get all the loose crap out of it, be sure it doesn't leak, be sure the battery hold downs are intact and the battery doesn't move. Be sure your wheel bearings/ball joints/tie rods/etc. do not have any play in them. Be sure your tires aren't down to the cords. The goal isn't to keep you out - it's to keep you safe in case you overlooked any of these things.

5) It's an outdoor thing! Bring an extra coat, rain gear, sunscreen, water, snacks - plan to be outside all day.

6) Bring a tire gauge, air tank or compressor (or hook up with a buddy who has this stuff), paper towels, glass cleaner, quart of oil, a few tools maybe?-just some of the basics in case you need to adjust your tires pressures, clean the windshield, etc., etc.

7) Get to the event early, register, sign up as a novice, check your work/run assignments, go to tech. Then go walk the course over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

8) Go to the novice meeting and course walk - LISTEN - you may learn something.

9) Ask for help if you need it - or just ask someone if they can direct you to someone who can help - somone's probably had the same problem before.

10) Most important - HAVE FUN - it's not life and death - it's playtime for big kids!

I know this sounds like a lot - after a few events it gets to be routine. You pack up a little "track kit" of tools and stuff and stick it all in an old milk crate and it's ready to throw in the trunk to take. Look for the guys on the list - most of us have pictures of our cars posted - park near us and ask questions. As it's been said before - we're all enthusiasts and most people are more than willing to share some knowledge or time to help you get started. Generally speaking, someone did the same for us when we started.

See you in April!!!

Great primer Craig. I'm always willing to help out with the basics, just look for my Pathfinder parked next to the S2000 at the events.

Craig has probably been racing about as long as I've been alive(sorry craig, couldnt help myself) and can help with a lot more than me, you can't miss the Formula when it's there. BTW, what are you going to race this year Craig if not in the Formula??

I"ll be around this summer....mainly taking photos as after my kids were born, play time took a slide...so no more racing for me. If anyone wants me to get them a nice CD of images, just PM or email me. I'll usually have 1-3 cars that I shoot at a meet. I can then host them on a private link for review, etc....

I don't keep much of my shots online, but here's a few from a couple years back....caught some nice shots of fellow CR members here too.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/scca_auto_cross

Tim

As fas as my driving this year - I don't know what I'm doing for sure. There is still a small chance the formula car could stay (depends on some final numbers on the new house/improvements needed on same). Sean wants to run his MR2 at some events-since I actually OWN it, I could drive it on occasion. If the FF stays, I will drive it, if it goes, I will be shopping the used kart mart!!! Worse case, I'll be at some events "coaching" Sean and a couple of other likely new guys (Pat & Pat) as I've known them since they were wee little people.

As fas as my driving this year - I don't know what I'm doing for sure. There is still a small chance the formula car could stay (depends on some final numbers on the new house/improvements needed on same). Sean wants to run his MR2 at some events-since I actually OWN it, I could drive it on occasion. If the FF stays, I will drive it, if it goes, I will be shopping the used kart mart!!! Worse case, I'll be at some events "coaching" Sean and a couple of other likely new guys (Pat & Pat) as I've known them since they were wee little people.

I know the feeling of uncertainty, with my car up for sale as well I havn't been 100% of anything this year. If my current plans fall through I'll just bum rides with various people through the year.

I could use some coaching before I get any more bad habits so I'm hoping to make the OVR school at the very least, as usual the money will not be handy in time for the Evo school.