F-Body True Duals

V8 Beast

I was thinking about ditching the y-pipe and going with a dual exhaust setup. I know it doesnt add any power, but it sounds nice as hell. After researching they really dont cost as much as I thought.... well thats if I have it dumped at the axle. Going over the axle is an entire different story. Anyone here been in a car that dumps at the axle? How does it sound from inside the car?

Yes, Anthony's car dumps at the axle and is really annoying and loud!
steve with the 2001 z28 that lives in grove city has some kit from jegs that has a xpipe and dumps at the axle that sounds good....john i think u know who im talking about he runs around with joe smiley, he has a streched gsxr 750

True duals dumping at the axle with performance mufflers and something more than a stock engine tends to resonate unless you take them to the side of the car.Mine dump right below the rear axle next to the center angled outward about 30degrees. I have full length headers and 2 1/2" system with H-pipe and 40 series Flowmasters..sounds like a damn boom boom stereo vibrating the whole damn car but sounds good outside. I learned later, but haven't changed it yet, that if you are going to stop short of the edge of the car like this that you should angle the tips towards each other slightly. Supposedly this somewhat cancels the resonance, that's according to David Vizard.

I have to disagree about the sound. I personally hate the sound of a X pipped car.

I'd rather have and h-pipe than an x-pipe, but the rasp you get from a catless y-pipe and insert-any-catback-here is almost sickening... :barf:

I still have a video of my Formula with true duals here... :)

Open pipe right behind the front tire is the only way to go... many people dont like the volume of the sound, but you can more easily pick apart the differnt sounds that are coming from the exhaust. Its easier to hear when theres even a minute problem with the fuel burn.

I personaly have always liked a loud exhaust, and one that terminate less than 10 ft of pipe length from the heads.

My Formula has 3" true duals dumping at the axle. Dynomax Bullets, no crossover pipe.

My car is loud, but was louder when I had the cutout open on my old setup (4" Y pipe - 3" reducer to cutout and Flowmaster). Hooker Long Tubes.

Of course, I have an LT1, which doesn't have many of the rasp issues the LS1 cars have to deal with.

Outside the car I don't feel there is any comparison TD > *. Inside the car it is a completely different story. A car with the TDs dumped before the axle rattles everything inside the car. Way too loud inside. My car is very quiet on the inside. I di have problems with rasp from 2000-2300 RPMs but I can deal with that for it to at least be sane inside the car.