Chris Simon is a dirty douchebag

Last night Chris Simon (NYI) took a clean hit from Ryan Hollweg (NYR) and retaliated with this:

Just to give some historical context, Marty McSorely was found guilty of assault with a weapon when he laid this down on Donald Brashear, and was suspended for the last 23 games of that 2000 season. Then the ban extended to February 2001. As it turned out, McSorely never played hockey again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sSoF40e30

And while we're watching Assholes on Ice, shall we check out Todd Bertuzzi's blindside suckerpunch on Steve Moore? Bertuzzi earned himself a 13-game suspension (remainder of the 03-04 season) and then he wasn't allowed to play anywhere else during the NHL lockout:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BFFLZQsT2AI

I remember seeing the McSorely hit and was disgusted with it. Any player who decide's to take a cheap shot, WITH HIS STICK no less, deserve's to never play again. I play rec hockey and there were a few times things got heated but if me or anyone on my team were ever hit like that, F it I would clear the bench Fuck if it I get ejected and never allowed to play again.

And I especially hate the argument,"but its hockey its suppose to be violent". There's a HUGE difference between throwing down the gloves and fighting and taking cheap shots like these. I hope Chris Simon gets suspended for a year if not ejected for the rest of his career.

Alex, thanks for posting up those vids. I heard about the Simon-Hollweg thing this morning and had wanted to see the vid of it.

My thoughts:

-Simon looked like he was attempting to seriously injure Hollweg with that chop; had the stick had a sharper edge, we would assume a swing like that could have resulted in, what, decapitation? Way, way out of line.

-yeah, I recall the McSorley incident. I also recall the trial (where he was prosecuted for actual Assault) and Gretzky testify on McSorley's behalf as a character witness. Essentially Gretzky said that McSorley protected his ass for a number of years and is essentially a great guy that just happens to be an enforcer (i.e., a trained badass/hitman on the ice).

-the McSorley hit didn't seem as bad as the other two because, I guess, Brashear is an enforcer too, and I know he's done a bunch of bad shit in his time. I don't know much about the victims in the other two cases, but I don't think either of them are enforcers. I know, it's stupid logic for me to say "what happened to Brashear isn't as bad because he's a dick," but, I still can't help feeling that way

Well the thing that sucks with the McSorley hit is that I don't believe he actually intended to hurt him that badly. All the time in hockey guys will do what he did and try and egg the other enforcer on by hitting him on the arm or shoulder or something. I think McSorley was adequately punished, but I think Simon's hit was so much dirtier than the other two. Bertuzzi was trying to instigate Moore and when Moore ignored, he punched him and drove him down...yeah that was dirty, but Moore turned his back on Bertuzzi. I'm not saying he denied his chance to defend himself, but what Simon did is unacceptable. You can see that Simon intentionally forces the long end of his stick into Hollweg's throat/face area. Its not like it was a misguided crosscheck, or an inaccurate punch that followed through with the stick...he straight up took his stick and smacked Hollweg in the face.

this is why they cant ban fighting in the nhl. too many guys are going to get run up in the head with sticks, or get jack the ripper style skate slashing (see; goalies who get their arms run over, or their jugulars popped by forwards crashing the net. ice makes blood look extra gross) if guys arent allowed to drop the gloves and releive some pressure.

And while we're watching Assholes on Ice, shall we check out Todd Bertuzzi's blindside suckerpunch on Steve Moore? Bertuzzi earned himself a 13-game suspension (remainder of the 03-04 season) and then he wasn't allowed to play anywhere else during the NHL lockout:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BFFLZQsT2AI

on this one what did Moore do to have the team say that they were going to get him. (what the announcer said)

on this one what did Moore do to have the team say that they were going to get him. (what the announcer said)

Early in the clip, they show where Moore took a cheap shot at Bertuzzi the previous night (Bertuzzi was wearing white on that check they showed). It was a late check, but not even close to worth the punishment he endured.

Hockey is by far one of my favorite sports and it's morons like these guys who get it bad credit. Dropping the gloves and having a showdown is part of the game strategy. Hitting a player with the blade of their stick is a brutal crime.

So, they suspended Simon indefinitely. I haven't caught SportsCenter yet today, so I'm not sure if the NHL has levied their final punishment yet. They were guessing that he'll get in the area of 40 games for it.

BTW, I'm with a lot of the posters in this thread who've said that a certain amount of instrumental violence/fighting are an integral part of hockey. And, not to mention, it is entertaining as hell - the loudest it gets in Nationwide is when Shelley squares off with someone.

So, they suspended Simon indefinitely. I haven't caught SportsCenter yet today, so I'm not sure if the NHL has levied their final punishment yet. They were guessing that he'll get in the area of 40 games for it.

BTW, I'm with a lot of the posters in this thread who've said that a certain amount of instrumental violence/fighting are an integral part of hockey. And, not to mention, it is entertaining as hell - the loudest it gets in Nationwide is when Shelley squares off with someone.

Yes, when it's a legit fight then I agree.

I agree with what many people said in this thread. Fighting/violence is just part of hockey. BUT if someone blatantly does something like the first clip they should be permanently be banned from playing hockey. There's no excuse for that. That shoot could have killed him. I can't believe there would even be talk of only banning him for a certain amount of games.