clean the chain?

BBCBRGIRL

i want to clean the chain on my bike before it gets any nicer out but i dont know how! can a girl get alittle help?

Nice first post. How many miles on your bike? If it is munched, or your nearing 15k, its time to replace anyways.

And welcome to CR.

you might as well get a new one with 12k on it, but if you don't want to then best way to it since its an o-ring chain is clean it with a wire brush and them apply a good chain lube. i always use Maxima Chain Wax on my bikes but to each his own...er...or her own.

go to Iron pony and get a "Grunge Brush" and some simple green.

Use that to clean.

Measure the chain slack with the bike unloaded, and check for tight spots. If the chain is out of spec, replace.

The chain on my last bike (Yamaha FZ1) was still in spec and working perfectly after 20k miles. All depends on the maintenance. Mine gets lubed every 500 miles give or take, and each time, I check tension. Also, dry it well and lube it after riding in the rain.

Long live happy chains!

I could not even tell you what it is. This is how it went-

Hey-I need a chain.

What year is your bike?

Ok, I will have sprokets here tomorrow, and I have a chain you can use. Its bearly used off my 4XXwhp ZX12.

Um, OK.

Free is good. I will let you know what it is when I find out. :)

520 conversion ftw. Beefy chains ftl. Heavy rotational mass ftl.

New Albany girl you need a nice new 520 conversion setup. 2 new sprockets and a shiny gold chain. Might as well gear that 600 while your at it. +2 in the rear would be a lot nicer than a stock geared 600.