what would make a car sound like a diesel?

yellowsnake

it sounds like its comeing from the front around the timing chain. bearings maybe? not sure. i havn't drove the car in about a month and get in it, start it up and drive it and when its at idle it sounds likesome bearings in the front of the enigine or the timeing chain or something in the front are goin bad. any ideas? also, seams to still have good oil pressure, no lose in power, and temps stay where they normaly are.

its a 96 cobra. it only has 46,92x miles on it. i have the parts for a complete rebuild but i just changed jobs and i want to wait until i get goin in the new job first. it show good oil pressure. i felt the top of the vavle covers and it feels like you can feel it there, in the front, so i was thinking something along the timeing chains. car ran fine when i test drove it and i drove it HARD! i noticed a slight vibration in the car like it was out of balance and i looked and the guy put underpullies on the car and didn't put the stock crank pully on the top of the pully for a balancer (b/c they are piggy back style pullies) so i ordered a new sfi approved crank pully thinkin it would go away and it did a little but its still there. so i though it was just from it being tubular front end and being solid and feeling more vibration from the engine. i've only put 145 miles on the car since i bought it, b/c i trailered it home from toledo, so not had a chance to check it out and today i took it to the store and it got worse once i got it home. like the warmer the oil got but then i turned it off, let it sit for about 5 hours, start it back up and sounds like a disel. i was hoping to still get to drive it a little but not lookin like it if its in the timeing chains.

kinda long but this might help out some.

wierd...i just started getting a diesel engine sound at idle in my 95 gsr...i thought id sound crazy if i asked "why does my gsr sound like a diesel"...its not loud at all, and i can only hear it when the stereo is down, but it seems like it may be something that eventually gets worse over time

The oil pressure guage in our cars don't show how much pressure it has. It will go in the normal range if it has around 10psi so I've read. I just had my oil pump gears break in my car, but I have 0 oil pressure. It sounded like a diesel in the valve train. The gears could be broke and still making a little pressure. Did you pay top dollar for the car? That vibration could have been the broken gears and the only way to find out is to remove the front cover. Then remove the oil pump and take off its' back cover to view the gears. I would not run the car any more if you want to save the block for rebuilding. It is the teksid block and they are will handle over 1400hp.