Shifter won't come out of park.

Buck531

When the car is cold (been sitting for hours or overnight), you go to hit the brake to take the car out of park and it doesn't go (this is on a 95 regal btw). The plunger deal only does down half way and won't let you go all the way down to pull it out of park.

I can get around this by pounding the shit out of it with my fist and finally knocking it loose. I can also jiggle the hell out of while pushing down in order for it (sometimes) to work. This just sucks for my wife.

I've already taken off the shifter knob and sprayed pB blaster and what not down there. Same thing. I've replaced the brake switch with two other working switches. Nope.

If I disconnect the brake switch under the dash or pull it out all the way, it gets out of park REALLY like how it should be. I'd leave it alone, but the problem is that the brake lights are on constantly if I do that.

Any other ideas?

Well, if I pull out that actuator that I just replaced, the brake lights stay on (even if the car is off and the brake isn't touched). The connectors are still connected anyways.

There's two plugs on the actuator. One blue and the other one is gray. 4 wire and two I believe. unplug one of those?

Well, if I pull out that actuator that I just replaced, the brake lights stay on (even if the car is off and the brake isn't touched). The connectors are still connected anyways.

There's two plugs on the actuator. One blue and the other one is gray. 4 wire and two I believe. unplug one of those?

No, the mechanical interlock that prevents the car from being pulled out of park. Of course it's a band aid, and you could pull the car out of park at any time, but it worked for most cars until the 90's.