Anyone ever set up a VPN?

HAOLE

I need some help setting up a VPN between my house and work. I have some experience with networks but no a lot. I have CASH and would like to have it done in the next few weeks... anyone interested?

VPN is slow, how big of files will you transfering.

I just want to be able to view and work with the patient accounting software at my house. I dont think that the files size would be a factor.

I use VPN to do some work from my login at work a fair amount. It is a bit slow, but not unusable for running most software. It's really easy to set up your home machine if you already have a VPN host set up on your server, expecially if you're using XP. If you don;t already have a host configured, you can usually find some decent tutuorials on such things floating around on the net. Here's a link to setting up a VPN Host on Windows Server 2003:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/03/09/vpn_connection.html

VPN is slow, how big of files will you transfering.

VPN is not a speed...It's a tunnel. All it does is connects you to the LAN and you get an IP based off the network you are connected to. You're speed is determined on how you are connected......dialup or over another LAN.

VPN is not a speed...It's a tunnel. All it does is connects you to the LAN and you get an IP based off the network you are connected to. You're speed is determined on how you are connected......dialup or over another LAN.

He's probably referencing the overhead a VPN tunnel carries (security).

Right but extra headers are added to packets flowing through a VPN tunnel. Sometimes depending on the size of the packet it maybe split into 2 packets for all the data. Usually the software will auto adjust the maximum size of the packets but you know how computers are sometimes....

Also lots of encryption are used for transmitting the data. Depending on the speed of your machine and the size of the files it may take longer then normal to transmit.

Basically VPN traffic is larger then normal as opposed to over LAN, and it is encrypted on top of this.

I've setup numerous vpn's Including checkpoint / Cisco / windows / linux (SERVERS), If you need any help let me know. Your best bet is to buy a off the shelf netgear VPN ROUTER. It supposed vpn in to it, It also provides you that nice security layer away from a machine have a direct internet connection.

The VPN IS SLOW comments crack me up.

The through put of a VPN depends on what is doing the encryption on each end of the tunnel. Hardware encryptors are expensive but make the processing faster. If you are building a dedicated VPN tunnel you will probably want hardware on one end. The gear we sell is a bit expensive but it puts out 802.11 at your house and backhauls it over a VPN. Not sure how much money you want to spend.

This is abit off topic, but you might want to familarize yourself with HIPAA.

That router should be new enough to support the GRE protocol, which is apart of Microsoft's Terminal Services/Remote Desktop - which means you can go the M$ VPN route.

I would try LogMeIn, if that doesn't work, look into the whole VPN thing.

The VPN IS SLOW comments crack me up.

The through put of a VPN depends on what is doing the encryption on each end of the tunnel. Hardware encryptors are expensive but make the processing faster. If you are building a dedicated VPN tunnel you will probably want hardware on one end. The gear we sell is a bit expensive but it puts out 802.11 at your house and backhauls it over a VPN. Not sure how much money you want to spend.

+!

my vpn to my house is 3mbit and I have 0 issue with speed.