FS: 99 honda 996 superhawk

88lx5oh

oh just buy it.

it will definately keep up with any bike from a dig.

its insane in the bottom end, more torque than any other bike ive ridden.

but on the top end its not as fast as traditional inline bikes.

but you can cruise 65 - 70 at 3000rpm so its pretty sweet. instead of that 10k rpm 70 mph cruise

just not sure if I should try learning how to ride on a 996..

If this is the bike I am thinking of - the competitor to the TL1000S, then no. It's more tame than the TL1000S, but it's still too much for a beginner. Puts down around 100HP, but has much more torque than 600 supersport, making it very wheelie prone.

Start with something less-powerful - it will speed your learning curve and make you a better rider. Ninja 500, or even smaller cruisers are all good bikes to learn on.

edit: Sorry hoblick - not trying to kill your sale - just don't want to see anyone get in over their heads.

I was at ryans yesterday and while i was there I checked the bike out..Very clean bike, pics dont show the large amount of flake in the paint....Pretty damn good deal if you ask me..Good learner bike, Just gotta look out for the torque

I'm not going to spend money on anything less than a 750. My younger brother is half retarded and that's what he learned on.

Hoblick I wouldn't buy it until I have a job locked in, but it sure would be nice to have. My only "wants" are blue, 750cc+, and less than $5k but I'm sure there's more than one of those in Ohio for sale hehe

Some guys have started on liters and been ok. Just go for broke and get a liter.

Ryan, why a cruiser? These bikes are pretty comfy for passenger and rider alike, aren't the?

it is a tad more comfortable than the CBR 954RR i had, but its still a sportbike.

i rode a 02 shodow spirit last night on the way home from work. thought it would be pretty comfy, i was wrong. it was absolutely more comfortable than the hawk, but i think i need to do some searching now. i have some back and neck problems, i need somethgin that will be comfortable for me and my wife.

but back to the superhawk

cleaned the carbs yesterday, and cleaned up the plugs.

also i put 93 octane in it. the guy i got it off of was running like 117 octane in it.

this thing runs great, rode it to work yesterday, doesnt miss a beat, and i love the low rpm 70 mph cruising speed. fixed a few of the little minorstupid shit things on it. left front turn signal didnt work, but it works now, there was chain wax all over the rear wheel, clened that up.

also has original tool kit for bike, and its useful. i used it to check the plugs, which are a breeze by the way

This may be stupid, but since its a vtwin and makes low end power, what's its top speed/how fast would it be in the quarter?

just curious, not looking to buy as I don't have any more cash than my offer, but it's fun to know.

here is are specs on the bike, no top speed or 1/4 times though

Features & Benefits

* Engine Features identical 180-degree reversed heads and chain-driven camshafts

* Horizontally split crankcase incorporates swingarm pivot and Pro-Link® bracket mounts at rear

* Integrated upper crankcase/cylinder block casting contributes to lightweight, compact engine design

* Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods. Design is lighter than conventional bolt- and-nut combination

* Carburized rods offer optimal balance of strength and durability

* Lightweight, skirtless slipper pistons reduce reciprocating mass

* Chain-driven camshafts operate Honda's largest-ever valves by means of shimmed- bucket lifters.

* 48mm slanted flat-slide CV carbs are the largest ever used on a Honda engine. They provide sharp, linear response and are fed by a large-capacity 8-liter airbox

* High-accuracy, computer-controlled igni- tion system monitors engine speed and throttle angle for optimal performance throughout the rev range. Includes 10,100-rpm rev limiter

* Slim-tipped NGK VX spark plugs deliver excellent performance and enhanced rideability

* Air-injection system designed into heads maintains optimum combustion efficiency

* All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with 4.5-liter buffed-finish canister-style mufflers

* 140mm, 10-plate hydraulic clutch.

* Side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from inside. Side positioning permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency, while facilitating front-cylinder service. At low speeds, a large right-side fan blows air directly out to the side and away from the rider

* Chain-driven water pump located in crook of V between cylinders

* High-efficiency oil cooler mounted in front of forward cylinder head

* Slick shifting six-speed transmission

* Chassis/Suspension Engine-mounted swingarm eliminates need for conventional pivot plates, allowing the twin-spar aluminum frame to weigh only 17.6 pounds

* Features massive D-section spars and curved box-section engine hanger-rails that reach back from the steering head to anchor directly on the engine, joining at the back to provide a solid mounting point for the top of the rear damper and the bolt-on seat rail

* 41mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) conventional cartridge front fork offers adjustable spring preload and rebound damping

* Pro-Link rear suspension system, mounted directly to the engine cases, features large-volume 40mm damper with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping

* Hybrid construction aluminum swingarm combines extruded spars with a rigid cast pivot section

* Hollow-section triple-spoke cast aluminum wheels

* Wide-profile jointless-belt-type radial tires with ZR rating for confident long-term performance

* Dual floating front disc brakes with fourpiston calipers and sintered metal pads

* The 296mm rotors are mated to their aluminum inner rotors with eight inserts (down from the conventional 10)

* The 220mm rear disc brake is stopped by a single-piston caliper

* Additional Features Three-piece half-fairing provides good wind protection and excellent aerodynamics

* Front fairing ports feed air to the cockpit to lighten handling at higher speeds and provide cooling airflow to the rider

* Large sideports maximize airflow through the sidemounted radiators and away from the rider

* Fins on lower sides of fairing produce down force at high speeds for enhanced cruising stability

* Fuel tank designed with sculpted indents for knees and handlebars

* One-piece seat cowl covers a compartment with specially molded recesses to accommodate most U-Iocks and cable locking devices. (Locks not included.)

* Single headlight features "free form" multi-curvature reflector and a clear lens for optimal brightness and reach

* Instrument panel features a digital odometer and tripmeter, an engine temperature gauge and 0.7-gallon reserve with LED warning lamp

* Wide-view triangular rearview mirrors mounted on solid, die-cast aluminum stays

* Aluminum die-cast footpegs and stays, and forged steel sidestand

* Compact 12AH maintenance-free battery

* Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty

* Ownership includes one-year complimentary Membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America. Benefits include discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance and much more. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.

Specifications

Model VTR1000F

Engine Type 996cc liquid-cooled 900 V-twin

Bore and Stroke 98mm x 66mm

Compression Ratio 9.4:1

Valve Train DOHC; four valves per cylinder

Carburetion Two 48mm slanted flat-slide CV

Ignition Computer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advance

Transmission Six-speed

Final Drive 0-ring-sealed chain

Suspension:

Front: 41mm HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.3 inches travel

Rear: Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.9 inches travel

Brakes

Front: Dual 296mm disc with four-piston calipers and sintered metal pads

Rear: 220mm disc with single-piston caliper and sintered metal pads

Tires

Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial

Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial

Wheelbase 56.3 inches

Seat Height 31.9 inches

Dry Weight 423.3 pounds

Fuel Capacity 4.2 gallons, including 0.3-gallon reserve

found a place called drag times found this

1/4 Mile ET: 11.090