Who has Direct TV?

Science Abuse

I've used directv dishnetwork and WOW and directv is by far the best. It takes a dump usually in the middle of a huge storm when we got severe rain and hail, but you really shouldn't be using your satellite during that shit anyway if you wanna keep your electronic goodies working so I don't consider outages and issue. I really love there DVR service. It makes sitting down in front of the TV worth doing again.

Evan

I've used directv dishnetwork and WOW and directv is by far the best. It takes a dump usually in the middle of a huge storm when we got severe rain and hail, but you really shouldn't be using your satellite during that shit anyway if you wanna keep your electronic goodies working so I don't consider outages and issue. I really love there DVR service. It makes sitting down in front of the TV worth doing again.

Evan

Agree + 1

My parents had it when they lived in Utica and Mt. Vernon. I am guessing because of the small town locations, it seemed like any little storm would cause it to go out. I am guessing the signal is a lot stronger here in town, so it wouldn't go out as much, but my parents did have a lot of problems even with little storms and also high winds. They resently found out they could ditch the satalite, the home phone, and dial up and go with Time Warner with digital cable, rr, and just use there cell phones for about $50 cheaper per month, so they did it. They also have the DVR through Time Warner and love it.

I have Direct's DVR box. And for the most part, I'm not too happy with it. Occasionally it will freeze the screen and need reset. Or the button functions on the menu will stop working, requireing a reset. Other times it will take an hour or so to reset itself if for some reason it loses all signal. Sometimes changing channels it will lock up, requireing a full reset while reseating the card in it.

That, and you can not directly transfer the material off the box to a computer (not really a big problem though if you have an external DVD burner), but would be more convienent if it was possible.

Maybe I just have a bad reciever.

I'm with Dish and I like everything about it except I cannot get ANY local channels in HD. I believe Direct TV offers locals in HD.

Also, Dish's customer service sux. It usually takes no less than 20 minutes to talk to an "ENGLISH AS A SECOND OR THIRD LANGUAGE" rep.

DVR is available and works great, however.

Sounds like your box is the problem. Mine has worked without any of those problems. I do agree that it would be nice to get there DVR service and be able to transfer files to a computer easier. I've checked into some forums about that topic and found that the DVR box is the same one that TIVO uses and you can flash the firmware with TIVO files to enable the USB ports and connect it to a PC. I'm not that brave or I'd give it a try.

As far as the TV cutting out even in small storms. I'd guess the alignment of the dish needs corrected. Wind and house settling will cause the dish to go out of alignment and it should be adjusted from time to time to keep it optimal. I keep mine above 95%. if you dip into the 80's likely that a large cloud would block the signal.

Evan

As far as the TV cutting out even in small storms. I'd guess the alignment of the dish needs corrected. Wind and house settling will cause the dish to go out of alignment and it should be adjusted from time to time to keep it optimal. I keep mine above 95%. if you dip into the 80's likely that a large cloud would block the signal.

Evan

I agree, mine was cutting out a bit in rain. Just adjusted the dish and havent had any problems.

My Independent Study of Computer Science teacher has the DirecTV DVR, and says his freezes too.

So just go buy a real TIVO if you want a DVR, otherwise, DirecTV is fine.

oh and punkrocker, their dish was probably not secured properly, or aimed right, or on the right transponder.

I had one back when we lived on campus. Signal usually in the mid 90's. Cut out during storms, and had a quick freeze/digital breakup every time a plane flew overhead. And on campus, that's a lot!

My ex g/f had it out in BFE, dual tuner Tivo. Worked nicely, though I felt the channels all seemed a bit too digitally compressed, most likely due to their limited bandwidth.

Overall, if I lived in the country and didn't have a choice, I'd have it.

My parents had it when they lived in Utica and Mt. Vernon. I am guessing because of the small town locations, it seemed like any little storm would cause it to go out. I am guessing the signal is a lot stronger here in town, so it wouldn't go out as much, but my parents did have a lot of problems even with little storms and also high winds. They resently found out they could ditch the satalite, the home phone, and dial up and go with Time Warner with digital cable, rr, and just use there cell phones for about $50 cheaper per month, so they did it. They also have the DVR through Time Warner and love it.

You're parents must have lived nearby me then. I have the same problems in the same location. It sucks during severe weather because we can't hear any tornado sirens where we are and would like to watch the local channels for weather alerts. Other that that, it's good.

SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS

I have had them out 5 times to realign the dish because the wind blew it out of alignment. The first three times were within 30 days of original install. After that they wanted to charge me $70 to realign it again. I finally started paying for the "insurance" and now they cannot figure out how to book the repairman out. The turn around time has averaged 6 days to have them fix it.

If you decide you want the new whatever gadget they have, your contract will extend by 24 months from that day without them telling you.

Granted they have MPEG 4 compression and HD locals via satellite but they only have like 5 HD channels and dish has all of the old VOOM services.

I would seriously consider Dish.

My only real problem with dish is there channel guide sucks balls. Unless you can get a different one it just doesn't work as smoothly as directv. other than that directv brough dish so they are the same company now anyway.

Evan