Attention Computer Guys... Help NEEDED ASAP

HAOLE

My hard drive just crashed on one of my laptops. It is making a clicking sound like th gears are striped. Has anyone ever swapped platters? I WILL PAY $$$$

You don't swap platters, it has to be done professionally in a hermetically sealed environment. Unfortunately, it starts in the thousands of dollars for recovery, which even then is not gauranteed.

Does it not boot up at all? There's several options if there's a bit of life life on the drive, but it's living on borrowed time.

Swapping platters can, and has been done by people other than professionals. However, it is extremely dangerous to do. You are better off paying someone who has a cleanroom environment to work in to do it.

Swapping platters can, and has been done by people other than professionals. However, it is extremely dangerous to do. You are better off paying someone who has a cleanroom environment to work in to do it.

Don't give anyone ideas, because the probability of someone common doing this is very scarce. Do YOU wanna be the one that risks any chance of recovery because you fucked up?

Exactly. All it takes is a spec of dust and it's over.

If it detects, there is a chance that I can recover it.

Or...you can send it out for a few grand.

What is on the drive that you MUST have?

My accounting Data (Peach Tree)... My wife did not back up the drive and the last time I did it was 4 months ago.

if you need come to staples in easton ill see what i can do about getting some data off. if not i can send it out to have a recovery done. i have great software at work i should be able to boot the computer up. i work tomorrow 5pm-10 just ask for patrick

I'd try banging it on a table before spending any money. That works most of the time for me. I actually have a drive in my computer right now that I hit every once in awhile when I want to get some data from it. Makes the same type of noise when its acting up and then you can hear it spin up. This is no joke I'm as much a computer tech as anyone else.

Evan

I had a similar problem My hard drive wouldn't access all of the sudden, so I picked it up and noticed it starting working again. I went and got a 100GB USB drive and sat and rocked my laptop back and forth non stop for about 1.5 hours and I was able to get all my data lol. I guess I got lucky. :D

I had a similar problem My hard drive wouldn't access all of the sudden, so I picked it up and noticed it starting working again. I went and got a 100GB USB drive and sat and rocked my laptop back and forth non stop for about 1.5 hours and I was able to get all my data lol. I guess I got lucky. :D

I might try that....

Rick, if you still have it Wednesday, I'll take a look at it during my appointment :)

cool!

I was looking at the schedule, and I forgot you were coming. For about two days i was trying to figure out who Anthony G. is. Finally I was cutting grass and it hit me that it is you. :doh:

I've also heard to put the drive in the freezer for a little bit... sometimes it will bring it back for maybe long enough to recover your data.

That is for warped read/write heads, his problem sounds mechanical.

Uhhh.....

If the drive will not detect, and it ticking, how is anyone here going to get data off?

Seriously....

that is what I was thinking... It is useless to try to recover anything off of it when it wont detect.