Need some EVO III help....

SPLN SUX

I dont know if any of your EVO guys know a place that sells brakes for an Evo III, but if you do, can you clue me in? Ive been trying to find stuff but have thus far, been unsuccessful.

Oh, they bolt right up to my S40... thats why im looking ;)

Why are you changing from your stock brakes? Last I read, Volvo brakes are good for into the mid to high 300hp for performance braking. Is that not the case or are your going to make that much power someday?

Sorry for off topic.

Stock S40 caliper...

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=12291

Stock Evo III caliper...

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=12292

Top is S40 pad, bottom is Evo III pad...

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=12293

I think the pictures should be enough explaination. However, the rear disks while the same size as the front, are SOLID... no venting at all... so when you lay into it, they turn to jello and fade in a matter of seconds. The fronts are ok, but i just got all new OAC rotors for it, and need to upgrade the calipers while im at it... also, should i ever go to a big brake kit and decide to keep 18's on year round, you can get some nasty 6 pot kits for the Evo III. id like to start running around the track... but i need to get the 16T on, some 550's, a tune, and the D2 suspension kit on. I just think it would be fun to bomb a 4 door around the race track :nod:

R&D factory in montobella california has some for sure, last time i was there they had ass loads of evo crap imported, if they dont have any in stock they can get it super fast, very good guys to deal with and good prices too.

323-888-8891 .

have you thought about putting 05 s40/ mazda 3 calipers on it or will they not bolt up?

they dont bolt up. im sure with some cutting and drilling you could get them to fit, but the Evo III's are direct fit.

Are those the same rotor diameter as stock? If they're the same diameter why not save your money and buy good pads for your stock brakes? The size of the pad has nothing to do with the stopping power, it's all the diameter it's clamping at, the friction of the pad, the flex in the caliper and the brake lines, and the pressure at the caliper.

If they're the same diameter you're not changing brake torque, they're both slider calipers so the caliper flex is probably neglegable between the two, and depending on how much fluid the stock calipers comsume compared to the EVOIII's you could adversely effect your pedal feel.

Are those the same rotor diameter as stock? If they're the same diameter why not save your money and buy good pads for your stock brakes? The size of the pad has nothing to do with the stopping power, it's all the diameter it's clamping at, the friction of the pad, the flex in the caliper and the brake lines, and the pressure at the caliper.

If they're the same diameter you're not changing brake torque, they're both slider calipers so the caliper flex is probably neglegable between the two, and depending on how much fluid the stock calipers comsume compared to the EVOIII's you could adversely effect your pedal feel.

No, the rotors are larger by about 5mm over stock. The biggest reason for the swap is to go from the 1 piston caliper to the 2 piston. The stock brakes have a tendency to wear very VERY unevenly, and more times than not, dont apply full braking power to the entire pad surface. Its really one of the worst things ive ever seen. However, with the swap, the 60-0 stopping distance done by one member averaged about 9ft shorter. So some law of physics is working better to stop the car with the swap, not to mention the great aftermarket options for big brake kits later on.

No, the rotors are larger by about 5mm over stock. The biggest reason for the swap is to go from the 1 piston caliper to the 2 piston. The stock brakes have a tendency to wear very VERY unevenly, and more times than not, dont apply full braking power to the entire pad surface. Its really one of the worst things ive ever seen. However, with the swap, the 60-0 stopping distance done by one member averaged about 9ft shorter. So some law of physics is working better to stop the car with the swap, not to mention the great aftermarket options for big brake kits later on.

5mm isn't too much, but I know what you're saying about uneven pad wear.

9 ft of stopping distance is a lot. What was he measuring with? Were these back to back tests on the same tires? Scrubbed in tires? Same surface? Were they full ABS stops? What are the sizes of the twin pistons compared to your single? Did he swap a master cylinder too? Does his pedal feel like mush?

5mm isn't too much, but I know what you're saying about uneven pad wear.

9 ft of stopping distance is a lot. What was he measuring with? Were these back to back tests on the same tires? Scrubbed in tires? Same surface? Were they full ABS stops? What are the sizes of the twin pistons compared to your single? Did he swap a master cylinder too? Does his pedal feel like mush?

Well aparently he set up a set of cones and used a 150ft tape measure. They were on the same tires, the make and model im not sure off. But from what i was told was he did 10 consecutive runs, 10min bewteen each run. The guy used an average because he knew there would be some error involved, and you never know waht the ABS is going to do. If i remember right he had a max distance difference of 10ft, and a minimum of 4, but 7 of the 10 runs were 8 and 9ft. Ill have to search for the thread. The shit part is, they al live across the pond so its easier to get things for the EVO 3 over there, and becoming quite the PITA for us states side. Pedal feel i dont know about, nor the surface area differences of the pots, but i do know he didnt change anything other than the rotating assembly.

I'm not actually interested in the surface area of the pistons, the volume of fluid they consume is what's important.

Honestly, there's no way to compare stopping distances without doing full ABS stops. We have guys that do ABS stops almost everyday and they can't beat their 'system off' stopping distances when compared to full ABS. The most important part of the stop is the time to reach locking pressure (or how much time it takes to build enough pressure it put the tire into slip). You can't accurately measure that by easing into the pedal. A few millisecond increase/decrease in that amount of time can easily be 9 feet.

Although, if you're changing the volume consumption of the caliper greatly I would agree that the ABS tuning might not be optimal. I would still be suprised if it provided a longer stopping distance.

Guest vee21

You might want to post the question on evolutionm.net. There are a number of people on there with older EVO's that might be able to help you out.

Shad